myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VHF radio in the cockpit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eduard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2007 at 12:05
On my current boat I have an Icom commandmike in the cockpit. Like many of you I also like the idea that I have my VHF within close reach when sailing.
I am considering to put on my new boat the commandmike at the navpod on the steering pedestral. However, Icom recommands to keep the VHF at least three feeth from the steering compass in order to avoid deviation. In my view it should be enough to keep the commandmike one foot away from the compass. Any other views?

Kind regards,
Ed

sy "Nimby" Hanse 342 #611 (2007); white hull, (one) wheel steering, Selden mast & boom, furlex 200S, deep draught, two cabins, traveller in cockpit, DSC VHF, inboard ap, B&G Zeus + Triton (2x)
Keoghser View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keoghser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2007 at 20:38
We are planning to go with a straight forward VHF down below  (probably Simrad if we go with Simrad elsewhere and depending on cost) and a hand held for up above.  The advantage of the had held is that it goes with you.  This was advice I got from Hanse.  I plan to insatall the VHF down below immediately and see how get on beofe getting a hand held.  Also, planning to link a cock-pit speaker for the VHF.

Peter
Linka View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2007 at 21:30
That' s exactly the setup we are using on Linka. A simrad DSC vhf down below with speakers in the cockpit and a handheld for marina and close range communication. When we need the long range (> 5nm) we use the VHF down below

Luc
Sailing, The fun adventure
silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2007 at 14:55
Ed,

I installed new ICOM with command mic at the pedestal on my 370.  Works great with no effect on compass or mic.  Best range I have experienced.  Strongly recommend ICOM.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
Keoghser View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keoghser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2007 at 22:21
Thanks Guys - I have looked on the web and I am not too sure how well supported ICOM are in Ireland.  I will look into it. 

Peter
Gunnar View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunnar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2018 at 18:43
I pick up this old thread that I started 12 years ago.
I ended up with installing a cheap VHF set inside the electric cupboard. Yes, really inside, I have to keep the electric hatch open while operating the radio. For several reasons, I plan to upgrade to a Simrad RS 35 (with wireless extra handset), and this time I will make a hole in the wall, which I didn’t dare in the past.
So my question is the same as last time; are there some 341/342 owners who have done a similar installation, and will share their experience with me? I would be very grateful for any good advice!
Hanse 342 #350 "Lathans" - Horten, Norway
echoofwight View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echoofwight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2018 at 10:09
I have a wheel steered 341 with a Standard Horizon VHF at the chart table and a remote handset on the wheel pedestal. I ran a cable from the chart table to to the pedestal. I did this twelve years ago and it's been great. The remote handset can duplicate all of the radio functions and I very rarely use the main radio.
Steve. Hanse 341 Echo of Wight, . Deep draft and rudder, white hull, Single aft cabin. Raymarine instruments. Raymarine radar. Garmin AIS. Wheel Steering,   Portsmouth.
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 00:48
I have had the Uniden WHAM wireless microphone for many years now, and it is quite satisfactory. It has all the functions of the main radio. When fully charge it works 7-8 hours or longer depending on how much use. There is a very slight delay when transmitting which tends to cut off the first word. I press the transmit button, count to 2 in my head then talk.

I actually like the Icom mike as well or better, but my boat (371 #092) has so many wires in the pedestal tube we couldn't find room for a radio cable, thus the wireless solution.

It seems only a matter of time before a VHF can communicate through WIFI and use your phone as a remote!
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Gunnar View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunnar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 07:36
Like Grahame, I cannot get more cables into the pedestal tube. I hardly managed to put a Seatalk ng cable into it a couple of years ago, and that's it. So a wireless microphone at the pedestal is the only option I see at the moment. Since I have thrown out all the Simrad instrumentation and refitted Raymarine, I would like to get a Raymarine VHF with AIS and wireless handset, but they don't make one. However, good old Simrad does, the RS-35.
My main concern is where exactly to install it, as there is limited free space around the electric panel at the chart table. Any photos anyone?
Hanse 342 #350 "Lathans" - Horten, Norway
Russplatt View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russplatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2018 at 09:44
I have a wheel steered 342. Standard Horizon VHF at the chart table and a remote handset that plugs in next to the engine controls. The remote has all of the important functions of the main unit including a button to activate DSC and is easily removable and waterproof. Excellent solution and avoids cabling issues up through the pedestal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>