myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel fiter - first stage...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel fiter - first stage...
    Posted: 29 March 2011 at 21:22
I used to work as a mechanic on big motor yachts and I recall the memories of changing the fuel filters...it was usually very convenient to change those big separs as opposed to what is installed in our Hanse...lift your bed and matress, unscrew the filter, spill diesel fuel everywhere and then try to get rid of the nasty smell that takes ages to vent out of the room...I got completely pissed last time I changed the 1 stage and finally came off with this solution...

With the new installation I can clearly see if there any water or sediment inside the filter, the separator is huge for this engine and will never clog, it's super easy to change with no spills at all, it's very easy to drain water if found and finally no more stinky odours inside the aft cabin....I did not remove the old filter - it's still there on a different suction line...I can now even change the fuel separator while the engine is running...

To summarize - Highly recomended !!

Edited by Windsurfer - 29 March 2011 at 21:26
Hanse 320 #079
White hull, tiller, short keel and rudder, standard North sails, Sparcraft rig
shaukaas View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaukaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2011 at 22:27
This looks neat!

I experienced the very same as you describe, when I for the first time attempted to replace the diesel-filter a few weeks ago...

However, I'm not confident placing the filter on to of the engine like this. What if you spill diesel all over it?

Next time I'll prepare myself with a "suction" thing and a plastic container. I guess the filter does not have to be replaced every single year, as this time was my very first in 3 years...
S/Y Nadun - Hanse 320#171

LG3600 - NOR13510

CharlesP View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2011 at 22:53
In my previous boat I changed it once in three years (about 750 hours). Never had any contamination or water to drain, but I used a fuel additive. Expect the same with my Hanse.

Windsurfer's idea seems a good one, but are they ever normally installed in the engine compartment? The installations I have seen have always been outside of it.

Charles
'MERIDIAN LADY'

320 Nr 536 2010

Medway
Windsurfer View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2011 at 01:52
Charles and Stian...these are actually almost always installed in engine compartments (motor yachts) and are certified for it...trust me as I used to work for 3 years in those engine compartments...as for the spillage over the engine - you will not spill anything unless you really want it as the cartridge is removed from the top as opposed to moddle section in the standard system and even if you spill something nothing will happen unless you use matches...(ok Stian - how about the fine filter which has an engine mount???)

3 years??? Lucky bastards!!
My fuel pump would be dead if I change it in 3 years...come to Russia and you will see what I mean...I change this every 150 hours and will change the fine every 300 hours so it's gonna be at least twice a year...   
Hanse 320 #079
White hull, tiller, short keel and rudder, standard North sails, Sparcraft rig
shaukaas View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaukaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2011 at 16:23
I know it will not explode, unless it starts leaking on top of the exhaust manifold with the engine running...

However, getting that sh*t out of all the "crinkels and winkels" in the engine in case of spilling, would be even worse than cleaning that little compartement under the bed. But I do like the idea - and the improvement. However, as this is a job to be done every 3 years - it's not something that is on the top-ten of my to-do list. Sleepy

I do believe that these filters are certified to be installed in an engine compartment - but I've never seen them installed "on top" of any engine...
S/Y Nadun - Hanse 320#171

LG3600 - NOR13510

samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2011 at 17:21
With my 311 I lenghtened the fuel hose a little. I then repaced the screws fixing the fuel unit to the side of the engine casing with bolts. I locked the bolts off to the casing & placed a packing around thenuts so the fuel filter was still held solid. I then fitted the filter with butterfly nuts
now I just spin the butterfly nuts off & can bring the filter into the cabin where I can easily ( relatively) change the components or drain off water etc
The reason for the packing round the nuts is that If I did not use it the filter would be clamped between the holding nuts & the butterfly nuts & would rock about. this could cause fracture at some stage.
An alternative would be to countersink the nuts into the ply bulkhead so the filter sits against the bulkhead. However, as the bulkhead is only 10 mm the there would not be much ply left

Daydream Believer 
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
SailCS33 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SailCS33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2020 at 19:11
Found this old thread as I was looking for this exact modification on my 2008 H320. Does anyone know fuel hose diameter?
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2020 at 15:28
What is the lift required for this filter?   I want to run a racor setup on mine, but the locations I have found would seem to require an altitude change of almost 18" and I'm worried about the pressure required to make that work?

Its a nice installation, but on my boat my filter is actually about 18" below the engine fuel pump as are the tanks..

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
 Post Reply Post Reply