myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 350
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Concern about 350 Shoal draft stability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pjwdoyle@yahoo.com View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjwdoyle@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concern about 350 Shoal draft stability
    Posted: 21 June 2022 at 17:18
Hello;

Late response here... I have a shoal draft 2008 Hanse 350 (hull no. 35) and sail the boat out of Toronto on Lake Ontario.

I would echo the comments that the boat is reasonably stable (although I wouldn't say stiff), but that the large rig makes it advisable to reef early (I typically put the first reef in sailing upwind if it's gusting much over 13-14 knots true).

The boat handles a beam sea reasonably well and doesn't roll too much (again, I suspect the large rig plays a part here).

The boat rounds up at around 30 degrees of heel, but I think this is more a function of the single rudder losing purchase than anything else. I suspect the later twin-rudder models may do better heeled over, with either keel option.

The boat points reasonably well and leeway is not noticeably an issue. I can get close to 90 degrees on the chartplotter track while maintaining good boat speed.

I've actually wondered more about light air performance in connection with the keel shape. The shoal draft keel is fairly chunky and I wonder if the finer section of the deep keel offers a meaningful advantage in light air (which is unfortunately common on Lake Ontario in the summer). 

All that being said, being able to get into some of the shallower marinas and cruising grounds around the lake and in the Thousand Islands definitely makes having the shoal draft a net positive.

Phil
nickfabbri View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickfabbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2011 at 08:53

We ordered the 320 with a shoal draft and notice no problems at all with stability. I don't have a point of reference, as I have never sailed a deep draft Hanse. However, we can point almost as high as any other boats we race against.

Nick71
Hanse 320
BERNARDETCHE View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BERNARDETCHE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2011 at 15:40
Originally posted by 371-#235 371-#235 wrote:

A friend of mine is considering the purchase of a 2008 Shoal draft Hanse 350. He is concerned about whether the boat is tender under sail or not. Can anyone with a SD 350 comment?

Thanks,

aucun probleme le H350 est un bateau tres raide a la voile et supporte
jusqu'a 20 kn de vent apparant toutes voiles dehors,par contre pour le petit
vent prevoir geenakeur
BERNARDETCHE H350 //122
BERNARDETCHE
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2011 at 22:23
I should be on my Hanse 341 this weekend, but unfortunately the crew is ill;  so, I have spent my time looking at the forum and this is always a good educational experience.   We have had our 341 for just over a year and because there were very few available, I have ended up with a shallow draft keel version.  The boat was initially ordered by an East Coast of England sailor, whilst up on the Clyde, we do not need to bother much about water depth.

I race Merlin Rocket class dinghies in the UK, which point very high, and so I was initially concerned how the boat would go to windward.  I am quite satisfied, as even with the 6 year old North self tacker and Doyle main, both of which have seen better days, the GPS track shows a tacking angle of around 95 degs and this obviously includes leeway.  I have not yet sailed against another Hanse to see how we compete.

As always, you have to remember that Hanse's have a lot of sail area and so if you are in cruising mode, ie. no crew on the windward rail, you have to reef quite early.  I think this will apply even more than normal when you have a shallow keel.  

I have always struggled to see how the ballast weights of the deep keel and shallow keel actually compare for the 341, as different specs give different figures.   I have even seen some mention of lead in the shallow keel version, but what I do know is my keel is magnetic all over, so I assume there is no lead in it.  

What I have just found interesting is that on the 370 forum they have given some stability curves and these show that the shallow keel version actually has a higher angle of vanishing stability than the deep keel version.  Presumably this is because the keel bulb is heavier. 

The recommendation is obviously, ask Hanse, and hope that as a prospective customer you get a good answer. 
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2011 at 15:35
Hi Bob / Blondie

Hhhmmm - no replies yet. I would have expected this topic to stirr up a good discussionLOL

My 342 is the deep draft version and have no basis for comparing with a shoal draft version (even if my boat for some strange reason is fitted with a shoal draft rudder, but that's another story Wink)

Anyway, my comment would be that the main concern of your friend would not be stability, but maybe too much drift (sideways when tacking).

I would choose deep draft anytime.

Ole Kirkelund
"Amani"
Ishøj, Denmark
371-#235 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 371-#235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2011 at 02:02

A friend of mine is considering the purchase of a 2008 Shoal draft Hanse 350. He is concerned about whether the boat is tender under sail or not. Can anyone with a SD 350 comment?

Thanks,
Bob
371-#235
"Blondie"
 Post Reply Post Reply