myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unidentified Yanmar electrical components

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merinalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unidentified Yanmar electrical components
    Posted: 01 June 2011 at 20:03

I understand that these technical questions may feel quite boring at this time of the year when most people think about sailing. I ask anyway:

Can anyone recognize a black item I found from the port side of the engine compartment? It is covered with rubber, marked with number 677, and there are some 4 or 5 wires connected to it. The size is about 6 x 4 x 4 cm. It is not secured to anywhere, just hanging around with those tiny wires. The Yanmar manual doesn’t explain the purpose of this part.

Another question is about the fuse, located in the white holder near the first part. What is the purpose for it?

Edited by Merinalle - 04 February 2012 at 14:28
320#166
JohnA View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2011 at 11:09
That's quite a hefty size for a connector.

Although my Hanse is of a later vintage, I will be visiting her over the next couple of days and will see if I can identify a similar connection. What I do see, whilst rummaging around the various areas where there are electrical connections - engine area, electrical panels above and below chart table, under sink in galley - is that there seem to be all sorts of electrical connections which are not connected to anything. The main thing is that if the engine etc. is working correctly it most probably doesn't matter that there are some strange unconnected connectors, as they are probablly there for equipment which is meant for different boat models, or with different equipment specifications.

Regards,

John
Hanse 320 #464 'Discovery'
Merinalle View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merinalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2011 at 15:39

John,

The black thing is not a connector. A bunch of small wires with different colors ends to this mysterious thing, but there are no kinds of open contacts on the surface. It seems to me that it is not meant to be opened, either.

I suppose it is not a Hanse part, but a Yanmar one. What worries me is that it is not secured to anywhere, just freely on the bottom of the engine compartment.

320#166
Merinalle View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merinalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2012 at 14:33
I knew that June is not the best month to ask this kind of questions, so let's try again. Does anyone got any ideas about this item?
320#166
Janni View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2012 at 09:44
Could it be a relay?
Janni
Hanse 320 #548 "SCHNEGGE"
gertha View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2012 at 16:42
Looks similar to my 370 with a 3ym yanmar.
The fuse is protecting the instrument panel, if you pull it you will find the tacho stops.
The black box i believe is some sort of ignition suppression, to stop a whole lot of electric interference around the boat; but I maybe completely wrong on that, either way my box is loose ; but I have cable tied it to the main wiring loom to stop it floating about.
Simon
Swanned off
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2012 at 19:39
On the schematic for the Hanse 370 3YM30 engine the only thing that comes even close to this is an "Amplifier only for sail drive" This has 4 wires running into it.  However, the Yanmar service manual fails to mention it further. 
Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
fiddler View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 18:44
This MAY be for the membrane leak alarm.  As far as I remember,  there are 2 membranes on the Yanmar saildrive with a sensor between them and an optional amplifier for the alarm system.  I just had a look at the parts catalogue and found "196420-02812 saildrive water seal alarm amplifier - This device amplifies the signal from the from the main diaphragm water ingress alarm switch".  I couldn't find a picture, but you could try taking that part number to your Yanmar dealer and get him to show you one.

I don't think it should be left just dangling around loose though...

Regards   Fiddler
lukemi View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 21:15
This is the power amplifier for the Sail Drive water seal sensor. Cost is about $159. It is not mounted and hangs by the wiring harness. I had to replace it on my 3JH4/SD50 Sail drive. If it goes bad, you will get a Water in Sail Drive light and buzzer at the engine control panel. To test if you really have water in the sail drive, remove the sensor screwed into the base of the sail drive. Drop a litmus paper or queue tip in the sensor area. If water coats the paper, you need to replase the seal. In my case, no water, just replace the amplifier sensor. Hope this helps.

Mike
Stella Maris 370e#166

Merinalle View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merinalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2012 at 18:49
I knew MyHanse could solve this mystery, thanks to everyone!Emoticons So, all we have to do is secure the item and hope it will not get broken. If it would, now we know where the problem is.

Mike, do you know what caused the problem with your sensor?

Edited by Merinalle - 10 February 2012 at 18:52
320#166
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>