myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mast Cover in Cabin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mast Cover in Cabin
    Posted: 11 January 2012 at 15:23

We had condensation and noise from the mast in the cabin and also wanted to disguise an air con pipe that we put up the back of it, so the obvious solution was a cover.
First we screwed wooden battons on the bulkhead to each side of the mast then bought some stiff plastic sheet (ribbed) to wrap around and screwed that to the battons so channeling any moisure or mast leaks to the bilge. Next we bought some foam backed vinyl cloth for insulation/ soundproofing, had some zips stitched in for access to the tensioners and glued it to the plastic sheeting. We then finished it by forming a top cover and foot out of wood and stained it all to match.
We now have a padded mast so we don't bang our heads at night, no condensation and hardly any noise.

Fair bit of work but it was well worth it!

Tigger 

Edited by Tigger - 11 January 2012 at 15:36
470e
jeancharleb View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeancharleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2012 at 01:27
Now that is really nice work.
Worth sitting down to think of how to solve problems.
Keep on the good work.
Personnaly didn't encounter the problem but the esthetic for me is worth the work

Jean from Montreal

Jean Charlebois
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2012 at 09:06
Tigger,

It appears as though you have almost complete access all the way round your mast. Our 470e has the wall seperating the heads from the master cabin and as such it is very awkward to get to the tensioner on the port side.

This I need to do as it is allowing water to penetrate running down the mast to the mast electric junction box beneath ! I intend using a tap spanner as I think this is the only device I can squeeze in the gap & give me the purchase I need to tighten it up. I understand that I need to ease any tension on the plates to ensure that it is tightened so as to keep the plate flat and make a proper seal !

Has anyone else had an issue with the tensioning of these plates.

This will be my next job following his return of having all 6 hull windows replaced (see earlier article)

www.norse-king.blogspot.com
Tigger View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2012 at 09:31

Even after tightening the mast seal we could never prevent water seeping down to the bilge, when you adjust the backstay for mast rake the seal cannot accomodate enough of the movement.
It might look a bit ugly but we used a waterproof tape (can't remember the name it was 3 years ago) and it cured the problem.

Tigger
470e
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2012 at 09:44
Tigger,

Isn't it a shame that the designers don't have the apparent ability to forward think and give enough flexibility in the components to prevent this. We spent a lot of money on such beautiful yachts only to have to spend another £15 (GB sterlin) on tape !

Denzo tape has a sticky waterproof substance impregnated within it or I believe a self-amalgamating tape too if you can get it wide enough, usually good for sealing electrical connections.

Assume your master cabin does not have the ensuite but the heads forward ?
Tigger View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2012 at 09:59
Hi JonB

Yes our heads are forward....
I think it could have been Denzo tape, our bilge is nearly always dry these days. I think that the only way it comes in now could be from water seaping down the numerous slots for lines in the mast in heavy rain, but doubt if there is any way to prevent it.

Tigger
470e
Stevenjobs View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevenjobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2012 at 12:56
Its good idea to cover it with the plastic sheet.I have also tried it in my boat.
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2012 at 13:04
What boat do you have, Stevenjobs?

Johan
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2012 at 13:42
It comes down to aesthetics I suppose, but there must be a way of separating the plates to enable Denzo to go between then as they are tightened together the tape is squeezed to form a seal
Jon B
470e
http://www.norse-king.blogspot.co.uk
psousa View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psousa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 08:25
I was told the previous owner was using this cabin mast cover on the outside instead inside. Now I want to order a new one and fit it but I don't know how. It seems something is missing here. Can someone post some original fitting pictures?

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>