myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sail Trim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2014 at 19:11
In light weather with a spinnaker sail absolutely dead down wind. bring the main in to something like 45 degrees to the boat
This means the wind will be going not from luff to leech across the sail but leech to luff
then bring the spinnaker hard up to the wind so that the loose foot is pretty near the forestay
The wind now flows off the mail into the spinnaker holding it in shape. having got the wind to flow  into the spinnaker you should not stall it but let the sheet off so the wind now flows out the front. the pole side of the spinnaker being held near the shrouds by the pole.
Adjust pole height to take some weight off the spinnaker but not too much
Wit the cruising chute ( by cruising chute I mean a sail with a curved luff rather than straight) you fly it goosewinged & free the tack a lot to funnel the wind foreward rather than stall it.
It is a racing tactic so needs lots of trimming to suit wind speed & boat speed

Edited by samuel - 05 April 2014 at 06:17
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Swanji View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swanji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2014 at 19:34
Hi Sam

I knew I could count on you thanks for the advice. We have a week left here in Croatia so we will give the main at 45 degrees (with preventer) and the assym goose winged with released tack line a go.

Any thoughts on my vang reefing/sheeting question?

Edited by Swanji - 04 April 2014 at 19:36
Onwards and upwards

Nidri, Levkada, Ionian, Greece

Hanse 350 #7, SY Evolution, standard keel, 3YM20 sail drive, 3 cabins, cherry wood interior, teak decks, feathering prop
superliga View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote superliga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 08:08
Swanji,

I agree about using the back stay first - in addition to shaping the main you get more forestay tension helping the headsail shape better.

Second depower option - as you write - ease the mainsheet a bit and pul the vang to keep the leech in shape. There is no point where i ease the vang again. Just keep easing the main sheet and pulling the vang. This will help you balance the boat and keep your main working - but in a less degree as you would want it to in harder wind.

At a point you will have eased your main too much and need to take a reef instead.

Ease the vang - take the reef and start over trimming your mainsheet and vang. 

The above is my preferred depower modes. I would never ease the vang again to depower more. This would just put your main in "flapping mode" so you get no power and ruin your sail in the process.

PEARL - S/Y SUPERLIGA - HANSE 470 e - Hull #168 - hanse470.com
CharlesP View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 10:18
I agree with Superliga. The method stated by him is the order in which I do things. In increasing winds, my vang is only eased for reefing.

Charles
'MERIDIAN LADY'

320 Nr 536 2010

Medway
Swanji View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swanji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 10:29
@Superliga @Charles

Thanks for that. So vang sheeting is out in preference to maintaining sail shape and keeping your sail in shape for longer ;)

@Mark
Re downwind sailing, a whisker pole sounds like a good addition. We have made use of barber haulers so far but maybe an upgrade to consider. Where do you store the whisker pole by the way? I have seen them stored on the boom on some boats which seems like a good idea given our self tackers. Also is your whisker pole height adjustable or have you opted for one fixed position?

Onwards and upwards

Nidri, Levkada, Ionian, Greece

Hanse 350 #7, SY Evolution, standard keel, 3YM20 sail drive, 3 cabins, cherry wood interior, teak decks, feathering prop
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 10:59
We kept it simple because as you say we can't store the pole up the mast. So it sits in two rubberised supports on the starboard stanchions. We mounted a simple ring on the front of the mast after trying out the pole on our jib, opposite the goose neck is right for the 385 and the 415, as we fitted one to Ti too. We have an extendable pole so we can use it with jib/genoa and spinnaker/gennaker

Mark
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345