myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Cruising
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emilia on the move

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 92>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2023 at 20:36
Here is a picture of the skin fitting for the sink outlet in the bathroom. I wonder what to make of it. Let me know what you guys think.

What you see is the skin fitting with the flange cut off. Then you see the washer that was inside the boat. It broke when I hammered the skin fitting in but I don't see why it would be corroded. Then you see, if you look carefully, the nut. Interestingly, Hanse have use a nut and a washer instead of those nuts with a flange that acts as a nut.

Would you say there is a pink discolouration in this?

Johan

Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2023 at 20:31
Despite the risk of rain I managed to apply the to first coats of epoxi primer today.

I originally just wanted to sand off the previous expoxi paint (that had peeled off in parts) down to the epoxi that was applied in 2005 when Emilia was commissioned but I realised I had to sand all the way through to the bare gelcoat. Despite doing this, when applying the epoxi primer, I realised that I got a few bubbles. This is very annoying as I have never been as thourough before in my life when it comes to sanding and painting.

Johan

DJgun View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2023 at 22:52
For joints between fittings and fittings to Hull.
DJ Sailor Ordinaire
HIN DE-HANJ0331J708
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2023 at 17:57
So nine days later the foreship is sanded and ready to be painted. I was wise enough to make sanded pathches next to each support in the cradle. Next time (when I finish the job) I will ask the marina to put the supports there.

Johan

Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2023 at 17:54
Originally posted by DJgun DJgun wrote:

Suggest using epoxy to seal the fittings

You mean instead of Sikaflex?

Johan
DJgun View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2023 at 06:45
Suggest using epoxy to seal the fittings
...they will never leak or move. That is how the shipwright installed TrueDesign fittings on Hula last year.
DJ Sailor Ordinaire
HIN DE-HANJ0331J708
sgrhma2 View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgrhma2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2023 at 19:21
Johan, yes you can cut to length the Trudesign skin fittings. I had to cut one of mine to get a correct fit. The important thing to remember is measure twice and cut once. The other thing is to ensure that when you do cut the fitting make the cut is at right angles to it and clean the cut with a file and craft knife, this will make it easier when screwing the next fitting to the through hull especially when it’s covered in sikaflex.

Simon 
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2023 at 18:48
I took a closer look and found out that there is a skin fitting with a 90 degree bend, plus the ball valve and a hose tail. The only thing seems to be that the skin fitting has been cut to a length that will make it all fit into the space.

I am wondering if you can cut a Trudesign skin fitting like that?

Johan
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2023 at 08:20
Originally posted by sgrhma2 sgrhma2 wrote:

Are you sure the skin fitting is bent? I’ve never seen or heard of such a thing having been around boats for 40+ years.

I will take a closer look when I get to my boat but I have already realised how stupid my idea of a bent skin fitting is. How do you design a nut that goes over a bent skin fitting? I can't believe I even googled for one.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 19 July 2023 at 20:04
sgrhma2 View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgrhma2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2023 at 21:56
Are you sure the skin fitting is bent? I’ve never seen or heard of such a thing having been around boats for 40+ years. While the photo isn’t very clear it looks very much like the through hull has been cut down and this then allows the 90 degree to be used as the retaining nut. Remember it has to be fitted from the outside and then have a fixing to clamp it to the hull on the inside, which in your case would appear to be the 90 degree. 

With regard to skin fittings, the nut or fastener on them should be hand tight and no more. It is the sealant / mastic that does all the work of holding them in place and sealing the hull. As with most things on boats, rarely do things fit perfectly in inaccessible spaces. This then involves measuring carefully and cutting to make things work. 

I personally would rate the cat flap you did on the heads door more complicated than the skin fitting in the photo, but the skin fitting will be messier thanks to sikaflex. 

PM me if you want any more detail 
Simon 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 92>