myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Cruising
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emilia on the move

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 92>
Author
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2021 at 12:49
I am sure you will love your genoa!

At the beginning with our 370 (13 Years now) we used to sail most of the time with the standard self tacker. Only when the wind was forcast lower than 15kn we used  the genoa. Always a decision in harbour.

In the last two seasons we did not even take the self tacker out once. We nearly always sail with the genoa. The reason is our "new" Selftacker from 2016 with 4 vertical Battens. It is impossible to lower this sail singlehanded. I would never again order a selftacker with vertical battens!

The good thing is: The genoa is a Turbo on our Hanse! We nearly never reef (furl) the genoa. It is better to reduce the Main: 1./2./3. Reef in main, and if this is to much no main (not often) and only Genoa. Works perfect up to upper 6Bft upwind.
If there is wind forcast with 7+ than the selftacker comes out.

The 370 feels a lot more balanced with the genoa instead with the selftacker!

You will love it and ask yourself, why you did not buy it earlier. ;-)
Blake 370
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2021 at 08:57
That sounds reassuring! I am looking forward to try out the new genoa.

My new selftacker has got three vertical battens. My concern was that it would be a hassle to change between the sails but I was convinced by the sailmaker that with the solution for the pockets it would not be so difficult. I have tried to take the new sailtacker down once and it looks promising. Mind you, I sailed with a selftacker with vertical battens between 2007 and 2012. That sail was far more difficult to get down. By the way, it was made in Pentex and its short life is the main reason my new sails are made in dacron.

I had long discussions with the sailmaker before ordering (I made a long list with queries during sailing that I presented to them) and one of the things we settled down for is just to have one reef in the main, located between the previous two reefs that I had in my old sail.

Johan
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2021 at 14:55
Am I right in thinking only the top 2 battens in the main sail are full length?  If so, what prompted that decision.  

Saturn Sails actually stated that they thought there should be 5 full length battens on that size of mainsail and then forgot what they had said and only put in 4.  They then had the cheek to try and charge me for 5!  It must be so rare that they give money back, that they had to find the instructions for the credit card machine.  
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2021 at 10:25
Originally posted by Martin&Rene Martin&Rene wrote:

Am I right in thinking only the top 2 battens in the main sail are full length?  If so, what prompted that decision.

Yes, only the two top battens are full length while the two bottom ones are partial.

It was not really a desicion to have only two full length battens as it seem sailed are designed this way these days. It is more a question why four full length battens were used in the first place, I think.

One of the main reasons why I picked this particular sail maker was a leaflet they posted on their website that I read with great interest. Regarding the main, I learned that the battens should follow the shape of the sail and not create it. Another thing that got me hooked was the fact that they put the cleat for the leech line at the mast. Details like that tells you that they have experience.

Here's another little story: when my boat was new I was enticed at a boat show to order an asymmetrical spinnaker and it was advertised as an all-round sail (which it is not). I sailed with it a few years but was dissappointed to the point I decided to sell it. In order to put the right measurements in the ad I called up the sail maker to ask for them. I remember the silence at the other end when they realised that they had designed it for a mast several metres shorter than mine. They then offered the swap the sail for one they had on the shelf made for a Dehler 34 and that's the assymmetrical I still sail with today.

Johan

Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 17:25
Today was the big day when I got to try my new genoa for the first time! Mind you, this is the first time ever I sail with a genoa on Emilia despite the fact that I have sailed her for almost sixteen years now.

It was an exciting feeling. So many things to take in (and learn...). I will sleep well tonight.

I also got a new hull transducer, an Airmar DST810 which can be calibrated for different heel angles, so I am not able to say anything specific about the speed improvements compared to the selftacker, but the feeling was definitely there.

Johan

colinc View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 18:05
Our 505 had three battens in the self tacking jib.  Once when hoisting we left the battens out - only to find very little difference in performance.  Thereafter we didn't use them.  We cruise and don't race so didn't notice the difference.   Also without the battens the sail could flap a little when furling without tearing the batten pockets.    This will depend on the cut of your sail but worth a try.
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 12:05
Emilia is on the move again. This is her 16th summer and it is a very different summer, not only because I have three new sails to try out and a speed sensor that can be calibrated at different heel angles but also because my now thirteen year old daughter is not aboard. Those who have followed this thread know that I was dragged into a custody battle in court a few years ago and now it has started all over again. It is not yet in court but I have received a letter form the lawyer. I don't mean to become too private in this thread but mentioning this is the only way to get forward with my writing. Pain and sorrow is however a heavy cargo that this ship carries at the moment.

The crew is two adults, one dog and two cats. One of the cats, Leonardo, stepped ashore after a weekend sail in May and lived in the nearby park for a month and a half and came back just a week before we set off on this summer's trip. The other cat, Elvira, is new to the crew and she seems to enjoy life aboard immensely. Leonardo is a little more apprehensive even if this is his third sailing season.

We began the trip at the beginning of July by taking Emilia out of the water for a mere fifteen minutes to have her bottom pressure washed. I was hoping to replace the anodes at the same time as it would only take two minutes but the guy who washed the port side said no. I should have asked the guy who washed the starboard side as he seemed more friendly. And by the way, the port water line was still dirty (as it was not part of the bottom presumably) and had to be cleaned once Emilia was back in the water whereas the starboard waterline was nice and clean.

Elvira on the coach roof.

The new speed sensor, an Airmar DST810, is a nice upgrade to the boat as it sports an electronic inclinometer that allows for speed calibration at different heel angles, port and starboard seperately. It communicates via Bluetooth with an app on my phone. Not only will the speed through water be more accurate, so will all true wind calculations (TWS, TWA, TWD and so on).

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 20 July 2021 at 17:35
Richard M View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 12:19
Dear Johan 

I feel like I know you very well as a longstanding friend. But of course we have never met - except by posts on MyHanse. You have both delighted and educated in equal measure. I am so very sorry to learn of your sorrow at the moment. It must be very cutting. I remember your joyous posts about your family; I hope that these can soon return. With very best wishes from a "virtual" friend.

As you've mentioned it may I ask about your new speed sensor? Was it a straight replacement for the standard fitting - ie no need for a new through hull fitting? Did you just cut and splice the cable? 

Richard M

(S/Y BrightStar - H 455 #90; ex S/Y Providence - H 400e #290)
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 16:36
Richard, your comments are always very appreciated. I feel the same about being friends.

The speed sensor was a straight replacement. I just pulled the old sensor out (I had a Maretron DST100 which is a branded Airmar DST800 that most boats have) and connected to the network with a NMEA2000 micro C connector. And then sponged up the water that went into the bilge during the process.

Johan
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 08:38
So, my new sails.

I wonder if it was a good idea to replace the old main and the jib and get a genoa all at the same time. I have felt like a beginner to sailing the entire summer.

During this summer's trip I have so far sailed 197M with the jib and 346M with the genoa. (In addition to this I have motored 8M.) We started sailing with the jib since sailing south down the east coast of Sweden means archipelago sailing, and then the self tacker is useful. When we then entered Kalmarsund, we changed to the genoa.

Even if sailing with the jib should be fairly straightforward to me, it is bigger than the old one and has a bigger roach with vertical battens. I simply think it is a matter of getting used to it.

Also the main has a bigger roach and seems to have a different shape that I need to get used to.

The genoa is exciting as there are more trimming possibilities than with the jib and that means I have to learn a lot of new things.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 28 July 2021 at 08:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384 92>