myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Cruising
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emilia on the move

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 92>
Author
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2020 at 10:54
The main reason for taking Emilia out of the water was to remove all the old antifouling. As her home berth is in a fresh water lake, the city has banned all boats that do not have it removed.

I have painted the bottom with a two-part paint that will allow Emilia to either be lifted for a pressure washing from time to time or to be brushed off in a boat washer. For me personally, this is a much better solution than using biocides. It will keep the bottom cleaner.

Johan

Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2020 at 11:06
After a nice but cold sail, we found a good spot for the night and anchored up.

Food and wine were served in the warm and cosy cabin.

Johan

Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 18:56
This may seem non-Hanse related but those of you who have followed this thread from the beginning and didn't stop paying attention around page 28 or so, may remember that I wrote a "divorce song" on my boat while sailing her back from Norway in 2013. The song has survived any angst I might have felt at the time and the years after and I just recently put a new recording of it in a music video on YouTube. 

The lyrics are based on a true story. Watch it if you like, don't if you don't. Big smile

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 10 May 2020 at 18:57
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2020 at 14:47
Emilia is now out on her summer trip. This year we have deciced to sail northwards along the Swedish East coast and therefore had to buy new charts.

We however started sailing south.

The reason for this was that the mast had to be taken down to fit a new cable for the new wind sensor which will be replacing the non-working one. The mast was taken down on Tuesday this week and was put back up on Wednesday the day after. Now I get wind information on my instruments again!

Johan
franko View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 10:35
Hi Johan,

A quick question. Blue hulls often fade and look quite shabby after a few years. Yours seems to still look great. How do you maintain it?

Cheers

F.
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2020 at 10:43
I used nine full days to make Emilia shine, my whole body hurting. While still on the hard, I got compliments from passers-bys and even the marina staff.

However, even if when I was finished the hull was dark and profound in its appearance it took only days before the milkiness began to creep back. Emilia looks great from a distance but the overwhelming results lasted only a few days.

I wrote about the method I used on the previous page of this thread.

Johan
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2020 at 13:59
Originally posted by anti anti wrote:

Originally posted by Johan Hackman Johan Hackman wrote:

PS. Anyone with experience with cats on board is welcome to give their advice.

Johan

Johan,
Erik Nyström, the author of the excellent guide to Swedish northern harbours, Norrlandskust, used to sail with two cats on board, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to give you some advice.

Anders

Anders, since we are headed north we have purchased both the charts and the book!

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 30 June 2020 at 13:59
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2020 at 20:31
Here is something I want to talk a little about. Garbage disposal.

Not many years ago, the only way to get rid of garbage was to bring ashore stinking plastic bags containg everything that needed to get disposed of, pretty much the way it worked in the rest of societey.

As society has changed dramatically towards an environment-concious thinking, so has the thinking changed on Emilia.

Not only are we separating plastic from paper and metal to bring to recyling, all the food waste goes into a bokashi bucket. It is not really composting, but fermentation. Interestingly, this process actually absorbs carbon rather than emitting it, the latter of which is the cause of the climate change we are facing. I am not thinking that that I am changing the future of the planet here but still, I find it to be in the right direction at least!

Now, talking of upsides, this is making the garbage disposal completely non-smelling and we don't need to get rid of it every time we visit a guest harbour and - I bring the bokashi bucket home and dig the contents in the ground to make nourished soil.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 05 September 2020 at 20:34
Richard M View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2020 at 23:33
A thought provoking post Johan. I’ll admit that I’d never heard of a bokashi bucket before. We are keen on composting at our home - and in fact have a wormery which we feed with food waste; in return we get wonderful compost and liquid fertiliser. I see that the company selling the wormery kits also sell books ski buckets. I’ll measure up on where to store it on board. 

I’m afraid 2020 had so far been the worst season ever for me for sailing. I haven’t sailed at all this year for all sorts of reasons - not just the pandemic. So it had been a real delight to read of other Hanse sailors’ experiences, yours included. 

I’m hoping to get a little time on the water this autumn.

Thank you for your posts and photos.

Best wishes 

Richard 

Richard M

(S/Y BrightStar - H 455 #90; ex S/Y Providence - H 400e #290)
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2020 at 09:00
I am sorry to hear that your season has not been any good, Richard. I hope it will turn for the better during the autumn.

I also get liquid fertiliser from my bokashi bucket. I use it when watering the plants in my garden but as it is said also the clean pipes I put it in the toilet on my boat.

I haven't written much in this thread the past summer but I might post some photos soon.

Johan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7778798081 92>