myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hanse 341 leaning to port?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TyskJohan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hanse 341 leaning to port?
    Posted: 07 July 2012 at 19:45
Hi

We have just settled in to a used 2004 Hanse 341 (3 cabin, wheel steering).

It seems she is leaning ever so slightly to port (even at rest in no wind) - does anyone have an immediate suggestion as to what we should check first?

Johan
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2012 at 22:20
Hej Johan

As far as I know that is not uncommon. If I am not mistaken the diesel tank is placed under the berth of your port side aft cabin. This (as well as the boat's other equipment may result in a slight heeling to one side or the other. On the other hand, I believe your batteries are to starboard so...?Confused

Anyway, it is difficult to determine unless the boat is completely empty.

Ole,
Kirkelund

"Amani"
Lynetten, Copenhagen, Denmark
Hanse 342 (grey hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, Jefa rudder - RUD34)
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2012 at 08:25
I don't know if it is specific to the 341. I sail a 311 and guess what, she leans to port as well. Very unhandy whilst having a teak deck when the water does not drain. An extra hole for drainage seems to be the only option.....

Gregor
Uisge Beatha

Currently sailing Dehler 36 JV (2002)
Previous boat: Hanse 311 #80

http://www.uisge-beatha.eu
Tipsy View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tipsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2012 at 21:03
Hi Johan,

I also have a 2004 341 and she sits at rest slightly to port. It does cause for a bit of boat balancing when you want to pump out the shower!
That aside an excellent choice of boat!
Tipsy in Cornwall!
H8jer View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H8jer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2012 at 09:31
Although there are differences in the sizes of our boats -  the design is basically the same for boats: Models 1998 - 2005, 311/312/341/371(DS)/411/461/531.

Whether it's shoddy workmanship or design fault I do not know.
In my 311 the water tank is midships, but later boats have the water tank on the starboard. So it is possible the shipyard thought about this problem.

As I see it, it is the cargo compartment which is the big problem.

When this space is empty, and I have a 25 kg outboard aft on the starboard side sea rail, there are no problems.

When there are 4 bikes, a dinghy, barbeque and various in the room, it turns bad.
The boat is still level, but when you walk into the bathroom the boat tilts over and the boom turn out to port.
There are also differences in the amount of tilt depending on whether you walk down the starboard or port side.
The boat acts like a dinghy on port side - this must also have a bad effect on how the boat handles when on tack.
To attack the problem:
I moved the outboard from port guardrail to starboard.
All "heavy" drinks and food is stored in the starboard.
Extra life jackets are in port.
Start and consumer batteries were before on port side (2 x 20 kg)
Now there is a 12 kg starter battery on the port, but 64 kg in the starboard.
It is a difference of 92 kg that is moved.
I built a shelf in the aft cabin in starboard for storage.

Is it a design flaw or was there a shipyard worker with bellows eye -   who has put the keel on?

/H8jer

Edited by H8jer - 09 July 2012 at 09:34
Hanse 370#487 30HP 3-cabin
stownsend View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stownsend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 21:33
My 301 leans to port, the 2 batteries and holding tank (not that its full!) are on that side so have but it down to that !

Cheers

Stu
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 21:47
I would like to add to this discussion that I think that the waterline stripes on my 342 (gelcoat stripes, as it is a Hanse) are not symmetrical which gives the illusion that the boat is not level in the water.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 10 July 2012 at 21:55
CharlesP View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 23:13
My 320 leans to port, whether loaded or empty, which surprises me, because I would have thought a full fuel tank on starboard side would offset the the batteries on port side and galley would offset the heads. But considering it again, the centre of gravity of the full fuel tank is more inboard than the centre of the batteries, so the moment of force exerted by the batteries is larger.

Charles
'MERIDIAN LADY'

320 Nr 536 2010

Medway
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2012 at 11:23
Having water in the cockpit every now and than, shows me the boat is not in balance whilst empty.

Gregor
Uisge Beatha

Currently sailing Dehler 36 JV (2002)
Previous boat: Hanse 311 #80

http://www.uisge-beatha.eu
Pondus III View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pondus III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2012 at 11:35
My 375 is also heeling to starboard. I have noticed that this is the case with a lot of Hanses.
Pondus, H375#837,Norway (:y:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>