myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fast Cruising Sails

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmvdv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fast Cruising Sails
    Posted: 06 October 2012 at 16:33
Hello all of you,
What should be your first choise for fast cruising sails ( up- and downwind )?
jmvdv
Idelfix Too View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idelfix Too Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2012 at 23:25
it fell out

Edited by Idelfix Too - 26 October 2012 at 23:28
"Idelfix too" Hanse 430e -08
Keep sailing in free wind
http://suhrfa.blogspot.se
Idelfix Too View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idelfix Too Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2012 at 23:27
North sails 3DL Marathon main and genoa 135% and a code1 and a G2 genaker
"Idelfix too" Hanse 430e -08
Keep sailing in free wind
http://suhrfa.blogspot.se
sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 11:00
Hi!
UK Tapedrive  is proofed, fast and reliable for fast Cruisingsails!

Thumbs Up
best regards

Bjoern

superliga View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superliga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 12:09
Don't get 3DL unless you are planning to do serious racing and have the cash to do frequent upgrades. For cruising there are better materials with higher durability.

The 3DL's are great sails but fro performance cruising i would go with a sail made of Vectran. It has high durability and can take more beating than a kevlar sail and is still UV protected.

Elvström EPEX looks very good too. There was a Hanse 430 in Denmark - "Lufthanse" he was very fast with Elvström sails. I would give them a call.

PEARL - S/Y SUPERLIGA - HANSE 470 e - Hull #168 - hanse470.com
sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 17:15
Hi Pearl,

the Elvstrom epex are still 3DL Sails and a lot more expensive (aprox. 20%) than the Tape drive. I alraedy ordered a Elstrom epex Jib for my boat, so in the Moment I am realy familar with prices, differences and the way of Producing the different kind of Sails.

Hug

kind regards
best regards

Bjoern

superliga View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superliga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 17:21
I was under the impression that EPEX was more UV resistant and could take more beating than the 3DL ?
PEARL - S/Y SUPERLIGA - HANSE 470 e - Hull #168 - hanse470.com
bibi View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bibi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2012 at 07:03
Hi,
The 2013 boats are comming with elvstrom sails. Do you think performance sails with laminated fabrication are more durable and performent?
Combined with furling gannaker should be an easy and a fast way to cruise?

Berky
Strand View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2012 at 16:09
Hi

I will recommend hi-quality sails and running rigging. It makes sailing more fun! I have sails from Quantum, and these are not only fast but seems also durable.
The gennaker I will recommend to maximise it, and use a "sock" insted of a furling system.  Launched from mast-top and with an extention in the bow, the gennaker is bigger than standard approx 183 m2. I have a platform in the bow called "peke" from Swedish Batsystemer AB. As sum, this configuration works very well.

Bjørn

H430 # 350 - "Diva"

Previously H370e #002 - "FUS"
sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2012 at 16:25
Hi!
Comming back to the different types of Sails:

North: provided 3DL, this sails are 3D Sails for high performance and relative small durability. The Sails are produced in a "shaped" form.

Elstrom epex: These sails are also 3D Sails. They where also produced in a form, but they are using higher pressure to bring the different components together and therefor they have a better durability.

UK  Tape drive: they are using the basic sail material in a triradial shape and sew it together. After they had finished the first layer, they are using Carbon or Vectran fiber and "tape" it of the basic Material. Therfor you get a high durabilty against the 3D Shaps but less in Performance.

To cover the UV resistants of the Sails all Companies are using Tafetta on one or both sides of the Sail.

I hope it will help for a better understanding. Don't get me wrong, I am only talking about the differences according the high performance Material between the different Companies.

kind regards 

best regards

Bjoern

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>