myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Halyards and sheets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admirable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Halyards and sheets
    Posted: 05 November 2012 at 08:20
Can you help?

I am in the UK and our 470e (2009) is in Sicily and l want to order a new main halyard and main sheet. Can anyone help me by telling me how long the main halyard and the main sheet are in length?
Also if l go for dyneema for the halyard shall l drop down a size to 10mm for example or would there be a problem for the Spinlock jammers in gripping a smaller diameter?

Any suggestions very welcome, thanks
Songbird

470e
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 08:38
Hello
I can not speak for the 470,but on the 545 is the mainsail halyard 54 meter and the hight of the mast is almust the Same I think.
10mm will not be a problem for the spinlocks clamps, the XX0812 goes from 8mm to 12mm, but the Dyneema can be a problem.
For better grip and a longer life of the Dyneema ropes go for a upgrade kit Ref XX-KIT

Edited by Wild - 05 November 2012 at 08:40
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
Niels View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 09:08
On my 470e the main halyard is just over 50m leaving enough for shortening when wearing at the jammer  it is 10mm Dyneema quite slippiry for the jammer at times when hauling in the main sheet tight.
The main sheet is 35m
Niels
Admirable View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admirable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2012 at 22:15
Thanks Wild and Niels,

very helpful and now ordered both.

Cheers

Songbird

470e
Blejie View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blejie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 17:55
What size did you order in teh end, if I may ask. 10mm Dyneema? or 12?

JOs
Owner of the Lunatic - H470 #346
Henrik84 View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henrik84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 20:44
I have 10mm dyneema on my 320.
I would go for 12mm, it feels better in the hands.

/Henrik
S/Y LaRey
Hanse 320 #430
Gothenburg, Sweden
tobo View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 14:59
Dear Admiable, We own a 470 (2007) and always used a Dyneema main halyard 12mm of LIROS "Regatta 2000". 10mm diameter may slip through the spinlock even though it would be strong enough. (12mm max load: 12'000kg). Take 60m and check the wear on top couple of times during the sailing season if you have a Sparcraft rigg. This rigg type (ocean) has ugly sharp plates on the sides of the top roller that make the wear when you release the sail for reaching courses. You may also shorten the sail on top if it is too close the end; this gives a better angle when releasing. (s. pic)

To avoid slipping of halyard use the Spinlock rope protector liquid. I made good experiences with it: (https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/hardware/rp25-rope-protection)

Edited by tobo - 14 November 2012 at 16:34
Thomi
jeancharleb View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeancharleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 18:52
I changed mine for 10mm made out of dynema. You will need a V type block . They are smaller so they are easy to fit by the stateroom. Another hole has to be made but nothing dramatic and it holds perfectly no slipping like the basicaly supplied by Hanse.
Being back in Montreal cant tell you the lenght for the main. But don't be affraid to order a main with 1 foot 1/2 less it help's keeping a good angle to pull with the halyard. A Myrex type of sale is not much more expensive sails better and when you take it down it takes half the size in the bag. At anchor is less dunnage wich is not bad
Jean Charlebois
 Post Reply Post Reply