myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snags to be expected?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snags to be expected?
    Posted: 31 March 2013 at 09:58
Hello all.

I have been following this forum for at little while and found a lot of good and interesting stuff on here. Nice to see so many different opinions and views on almost every topic Smile

In just about 6 weeks time I should have my new Hanse 385 delivered and am looking very much fwd to this, but as I have never owned a Hanse before - or owned any bigger boat myself before - I do have a question to ask, and this is specific about the 385:

Is there any snags I can expect for sure to pop up in the first months of sailing? I am here thinking of any design flaws, weaknesses or other issues that new owners have identified that needs to be addresses in the beginning?

Just looking for a heads up really, as I have tried to equip and prepare for safe and fun sailing already.

Thank you in advance Smile
Hanse 385 "Tenna"
Denmark
Jesterjon View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesterjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 10:59
Dane

Congratulations on picking a great family boat.

We have had ours for twelve months and sailed about 2200Nm 's. We have had no major concern issues, the hinges on the cabinets could be better attached the screws are too small. We did have teething problems with the Simrad electronic equipment but they were changed under warranty and we have had no problem since, you will have the more modern gauges anyway so may not have the same problem. You will want to fit a turning block with a jammer on the jib furler.

Sailing her is a joy I think she is very fast, she is my first big boat as well. I might be pointing out the obvious but we tended to over sheet the main all the time, the main is a massive sail and does not need sheeting in too far even when very close hauled, it makes a dramatic difference to the speed. Also reef early, again you will lose no speed but although she doesn't round up, even when very over pressed, you will find her more comfortable with a reef or two in when appropriate. For example in 25knts true, with two reefs in the main and a small jib rolled out we touched 10 knots on a beam reach, our fastest yet, so I am bragging about it.

You will have a great time with her, what is her hull number? What is her name and where will you sail?

Jon.
Jonathon.
superliga View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superliga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 11:08
Well, I dont know specific about the 385.

I have taken delivery of a few new boats over time. They all had minor problems surfacing after taking delivery.

All problems are easy to get fixed before the dealer lets go of the boat. So make sure you discover as many as possible.

Best advise would be to carefully go through the boat and check every function.
Are all electric equipment working. 220 v, charger, Waterheater, heating system etc.
All navigation equipment working OK. Read the manuale before you take delivery and do the seatrial at once to see if it all works out OK.
All pluming work OK;  e.g. Showers and drainpumps function properly. 
Put a hose on all the windows and check if they are all sealed OK.

Check all interior works as you expect and all doors etc fit and open / close properly.

Take a testsail and see if the rig and deck equipment work as expected.

PEARL - S/Y SUPERLIGA - HANSE 470 e - Hull #168 - hanse470.com
Dane View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 13:00
Thank you very much for the replies guys.

Some of the advises seems obvious but i didn't think of it so thanks for the heads up :)

Think I can might as well change screws in the fittings straight away then before they break. Used to be a carpenter so that shouldn't be a problem.

Is there a simrad simulator or equivalent online somewhere that can be played with?

I don't have the hull number yet as she is still in the process of being built, but the name will be "Curious" and she will be berthed in Copenhagen to start with, then maybe later in the Meds.

Hanse 385 "Tenna"
Denmark
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 13:21
Hi Dane,

You should be able to get the number from your dealer.  I asked for mine and number 238 isnt due for delivery until June.

I am also interested in any feedback on snags to look for, so ill watch this discussion as it develops.

385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Perttu View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Perttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 17:35
Best of luck with new boat!

I would check atleast that:

- ensure rigging safe and tightened after initial legs
- water system does not leak
- fuel system does not leak
- septic system does not leak
- all thru hulls checked & tightened after few hundred NM's
- Electronics calibrated & working as they should

My opinion is that it will take some time,  up to 2000 NM/2 seasons to develop understanding with new boat.

- Perttu

To get 
Check my sailing videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/l11483?feature=results_main
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 19:39
Not a 385-- but the only snag i had when my boat was new was a kink in the engine water inlet hose
Did not stop the engine working but did restrict water flow
The kink was due to the hose being 150mm too short & not curving round properly
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 23:36
Dane,

You may find the list on the website of a myHanse forum member called MarcoC. On his website he has a menu item called "Checklist for new delivery" which has a long list of items to check. His information is specifically based on his 370 but I think it would apply equally to your 385. His website is www.wesailhanse.se

Good luck with your new vessel.
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 23:40
Dane,

You could look at the website of a myHanse forum member called MarcoC. His website has an menu item called "Checklist new delivery" which is based on his experience with his 370. The website address is www.wesailhanse.se

Good luck with your new vessel.
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Dane View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 10:09
The Hull should be number 239 with delivery in May, so am looking really fwd to it :)

I just ordered a Gennaker as well, but am considering if a 105% Genoa will be worth buying? It is not a lot bigger than the jib, but as the boat is prepared for it I am thinking if it is giving any real advantages?

Anyone in the know?
Hanse 385 "Tenna"
Denmark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>