myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rubber seal around portlight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 20:58
Going back in time I recall there used to be a tool for pushing the plastic trim into car window frames, so perhaps this tool Silver Sailor mentions is something the manufacturer of the seal can supply? There is a company I have seen at UK boat shows who manufacture a variety of rubber seals, they are called Wilks and are very helpful, so maybe they can advise. They show a tool for window rubber on their web site -

https://www.wilks.co.uk/marine/accessories/window-rubber.html

If you are unable to find assistance nearer to home, from Wilks, or from the supplier of the seal that you have perhaps an email to them could help?

I an surprised the seal supplier or manufacturer does not supply a guide or a tool to install as I can imagine it is no easy task, even with the grove liberally coated with a silicone lub or furniture polish spray.

Cheers,

Rob
"Blue Horizon" Hanse 341#113 Portsmouth Harbour UK
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2016 at 19:44
Originally posted by robh robh wrote:

I an surprised the seal supplier or manufacturer does not supply a guide or a tool to install as I can imagine it is no easy task, even with the grove liberally coated with a silicone lub or furniture polish spray.

There is actually a guide, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me:Portlight_New_Standard_Seal_Replacement.pdf

To me, not being a handy person, this problem is a hard nut to crack. The temporary solution (see below) is not very appealing.

Johan

robh View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2016 at 04:59
It looks to be a simple job from the instructions but generally these things are from the point of view of the person writing these.
Having said that from the picture of the seal profile and the description of replacement I would have thought application of a silicone lubricant along the grove then just push the seal squarely into this should achieve the desired result. Perhaps you are trying to hard? If this fails perhaps a thin round object such as the curved hook section of a metal coat hanger, if you can find one applied to the edge of the seal with a 90 degree bend, which is intended to fit the grove could work. If all else fails I have some white gaffer tape that would look better.

Just had a rather radical thought, why not take the seal and the frame to the place you got the seal from or your local Lewmar agent and say you show me how its done!

Good luck.

Cheers,

Rob
"Blue Horizon" Hanse 341#113 Portsmouth Harbour UK
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2016 at 15:39
I gave up. I bought a new portlight. My dealer was kind enough to let me return the seal and get the money back.

It feels a bit awkward to replace the entire portlight just because the seal had got old and it cost me 170 Euro too, but at least the problem is fixed now. If you look at the first post in this thread this is a problem I've been meaning to fix for three years!

As soon as the weather permits I will remove the glue residue and polish the gelcoat. As you can see in the picture, tonight is not the time to start such a project.

Johan

h315idra View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h315idra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 09:02
Shocked BRRRRRR.
Here around 18°

I have the same problem at the same portlight; useful topic!
Ciao
Alessandro
Alessandro Camerini

315#526

Marina di Salivoli, Piombino ITALY
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2016 at 11:14
I am glad you find this thread useful, Alessandro.

Here's another thing: the portlight comes with two types of acrylic glass, clear or tinted. I thought mine was clear so I ordered that as it was also cheaper. I now realise that the old acrylic was the darker version. I however like the clear glass as it makes the aft cabin brighter. Now, as I still have the old acrylic I can choose between the two if I like.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 12 November 2016 at 11:15
invader26 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote invader26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 15:15
Johan, what was the replacement part#?

Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 16:48
If you mean spare parts for the portlight, you'll find them here: http://www.lewmar.com/node/14894.

If you mean the portlight itself, you'll find it here: http://www.lewmar.com/node/11265?v=24318.

Johan
invader26 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote invader26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2017 at 17:01
Thanks Johan, it was for the portlight ;-)

Best
Tom
cintra View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cintra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2018 at 15:56
Hey Johan, 

do you still have the correct part number of the port lights in the forward cabin? 
The printing on the acrylic on my boat is so thin that some numbers have totally disappeared and my dealer is desperate... 

Thanks! 

Jörg 
Hanse 388 LOUNA #173
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>