myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a new boat - What discount to expect?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kamoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying a new boat - What discount to expect?
    Posted: 21 August 2013 at 11:48
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum after reading a bit here for a while as I'm very close to signing for a new yacht, most likely a 575 and I value the experiences and tips that are shared here.

My first question is related to the discount to expect on a new boat. How much did you guys get in discount off the list price when you purchased your boats?

I've been offered 15%, not sure if I should go for more or be happy with that. I've received 15% discounts from many brands without much bargening so I'd assume there might be more to get?

K
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 12:08
just make sure you get it off all the options too, even the ones you haven't thought of yet!
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 12:11
15% sounds great if it is on the final price with all the options. The max. I have heard of in 2013 was 12%

superliga View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superliga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 14:28
In general (and for several brands) I know dealers has apr. 17% margin on a boat and they get some additional % if they meet a quote.

So 15% is very good discount rate. 

Be careful about the dealer you buy from. As you might have read in here a lot comes down to the dealer and their willingness to help you if there is a problem.
If they give you almost all their commission in discount they might not be too interested in helping you out if a problem occurs.

I am not saying your dealer is bad, I'm just saying choose wisely.

Best of luck with the project!

PEARL - S/Y SUPERLIGA - HANSE 470 e - Hull #168 - hanse470.com
pap45 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pap45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 18:28
I getting close to buying a 415 here in the States. My local dealer does not seem to be too willing to move off of the list price. And his price for commissioning seems very high.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do other than going to another dealer? I would like to avoid going to another dealer since the next closest one is a long distance away, and for all I know, the dealers might be assigned exclusive territories.

Thanks.
Ilkhanse View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilkhanse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 18:58
You might check with Martin. If he was working with you before, he might be able to sell you a boat. That window could have expired though. Other than that, you probably have to stick with McMichaels. They seem like a pretty good dealer.
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 20:30
I would be looking for at least 10% off the before-tax price for the basic boat and then you can negotiate for each 'extra' that you want.

My only suggestion for making the dealer treat your request for reasonable discount seriously is to start flirting with another supplier for a credible alternative boat. Take a look at an equivalent Bavaria, Beneteau or maybe a Dufour. I'm not suggesting you actually abandon your pursuit of a Hanse but you have to make your dealer believe you are seriously considering it.

Your dealer will not want to lose a potentially lucrative sale. He will still hope to increase his margin on the extras but these are all 'optional' and sometimes an outside supplier is actually cheaper.

However, don't be tempted to squeeze the dealer too hard as you may have problems when it comes to warranty support!

Good luck. The 415 is a great boat. 
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 22:23
Interesting that people, when looking to buy think they should get a discount.... Perhaps the manufacture who gives a 20% discount actually builds this in to the price, and the manufacturer who offers zero discount, does not build any wiggle room into the price... Does the higher discount company offer a better priced product and does he offer a better package to the end user.... It is all relevant.
Just a thought.
Hanse 301, tiller steering, Volvo 2010 (10hp)
hanafe View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanafe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 23:45
Make sure that you compare your offered price with the original Hanse price list.
Our dealer here is inflating the original price list by 15 %. Even you negotiate a big discount, the smile stays on the face of the dealer.

So it depends on the situation where you are.

From the original price list a small discount should be workable for both sides. Do not got too far, your dealer needs to live as well. Normaly they get 15% plus another 2% which they first have to use up for warranty cases first. When this is used up, Hanse covers warranty cases.

By the way, it is maybe more important to make sure you get the two years warranty like in Germany instead of a bogger discount. If the dealer is so proud and sure about the excellent quality of his product than it is not a risk to grant the two years warranty, which he gets covered by Hanse anyway.

HanaFe
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2013 at 04:39
The above post is exactly what I mean, whether it be the dealer or the manufacturer who is building in the discount.

Edited by holby - 20 September 2013 at 04:40
Hanse 301, tiller steering, Volvo 2010 (10hp)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>