myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 411
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a 411: Things to watch out for!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheOnly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying a 411: Things to watch out for!
    Posted: 16 October 2013 at 21:42
Dear all,

we are planning to become part of the Hanse-gang. We would like to buy a 411, but due to budget restrictions it will be a used one from the "early days", that is before 2005.
As I would really appreciate some help, i wanted to suggest to start a thread listing the typical problems with the 411 and what to watch out for particularly when checking out a candidate. I think nobody else but a long-time owner can really give hints on this topic-and I hoped some might be willing to drop a comment.
I read through a good part of the old threads, but didn't find anything of this kind. I am sorry if I missed somehting.

Thank you very much in advance,
TheOnly

Edited by TheOnly - 16 October 2013 at 21:44
Jøvani View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jøvani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2013 at 17:02

Hi,

The Hanse 411 models were in production for several years. I am not sure, but I think it was introduced in 2000/2001 and the last was produced in 2005. It is a well designed boat. It was somewhat upgraded in 2004/2005. Probably more than 200 was produced. My hull number is 189.  One important change was the stern which on the latest models got an extra space for the swim leader, making it easier to enter the boat from aft.

Another important issue is the mast. The first models had some problem with their mast. The type of mast was later changed to a model with a tapered design, i.e. the dimensions are reduced at the top of the mast. I have not heard of any problems with the new mast type.

It has to my knowledge been delivered with different sized engines. I have the Yanmar 55 HK version, an excellent engine, which fits well to the 9 to 10 tons boat.

The hull was delivered as white, blue and light gray. I believe the blue is hard to keep nice over time.

I will strongly recommend an electric winch as the main sail is heavy and the mast is high!

The tank capacity could be better. The spec say 240 liter of water and 120 of diesel, however in my boat the diesel is only 100 and most likely water is 150 liter.  Which are in the lower range for a boat of this size.

Other things to look for buying a secondhand should be and hull damages, the keel and the hull structure, the quality of the sails and any extra sails, Stays, sheets and halyards.  I am sure you can find a sort of check list somewhere on internet.

Wish you luck!

Jøvani Hanse 411 #189

Tønsberg

Norway
Sealife View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sealife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2013 at 09:09
Hi, I would agree with Jovani on all points, especially the tank capacities. Our boat was built 2005 but was bought by us in 2010, and we have been very pleased overall. To date we have not encountered any major structural problems however the internal systems are prone to failure as on any boat. Some of these are listed here:-

Unsecured drain in the exhaust muffler causing the bilges to fill after every outing. (This took some time to identify)

Blocked breather pipe making it very difficult to fill the diesel tank completely.

Switching valve for the blackwater tank was stiff and eventually the lever snapped off! Seacocks should be looked at closely, there has been much discussion in the boating mags this year, but ours are still OK.

Domestic water taps could be better quality.

We have also noticed that the stanchions are prone to rusting.

Our hull is an off-white colour and although the blue looks attractive, long term the white is easier to maintain.

I would also agree that raising the main requires much effort. We are considering the possibility of an electric winch. If anyone out there has replaced the main with a lighter material I would be interested to hear of their experiences.

We have also replaced the wheel with a much smaller one, as moving around it at sea was not without some risk.

If you take the 411 forum as a whole, strip out the teething issues surrounding new builds then the picture is one any manufacturer would be reasonably content with...

Good luck

Hanse 411 - Hull#211

Bandy View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 21:11
hi, in fact the first 411 were from 2002, it was the first J&V design for Hanse, together with the 371. It is a really strong build boat, and as a result rather heavy. nearly 10.000 kg. not only is the watertank rather small but also not in a really good place (under the bed in the front cabin). it is a nice sea going boat, that does well in longer sea races. we sailed her for 10 years this year and are really happy with her. also after 10 years she looks really good (almost as new), so the quality of the grp is good (we also have the off white hull). all and all a good choise i think.

Bandy, Hanse 411 2003
WilliamF View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 11:13
Dear All,
I am presently looking at a 461 / 2005/GRP and found 2 inches  water in the bilge under battery shelf compartment starboard side ... no water noted around  keel bolts and were shiny without damage rust . I read in another note that water could be from muffler starboard side...   any other comments the water tanks looked good. 
The teak deck and hulll look in great shape awaiting opportunity to sail her.

William
sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 18:18
Hi,
What kind of Water it is, salt or sweet water? If it is sweet water its coming from a not leak free connection between the Mast and the Deck!
best regards

Bjoern

WilliamF View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 20:41
The mast and aft of mast is dry,as well as over the keel bolts... the owner stated that the water may be salty. Most of the water was contained in the battery section under the wood platform ...at least 2 inches deep
I am looking to buy this boat...also looking at a 461e which also had a little water starboard aft compartment near battery

thank you

William
William
sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 21:28
Hi,
The bottom of these boats are shaped in a Way, that the Water is running from all over the Boat to the two Points you discribed. I.e. The Water from the Mast is running in the Area directly after it is rainning. The next Morning you'll see nothing on the Mast!! In general, whenthe Water is salty, take care about it! If you doesn't find the rootcause you can pick up a lot trouble by defecting your electric by Corrosion etc....
best regards

Bjoern

WilliamF View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2014 at 14:53
Thank you have there been any significant construction differences reported between the 461 GRP and 461e other than the epoxy weight strength osmosis differences...I am seriously considering the 461 GRP 2005 ( once the bilge water has been sorted out.
Do you also have ballpark figures for costs of sails for the 461 ?
Thanks for your advice
William
cwetto View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2014 at 15:18
Originally posted by WilliamF WilliamF wrote:

Do you also have ballpark figures for costs of sails for the 461 ?
Thanks for your advice

For H540e ballpark for sails range from €7500 for dacron CC, around €15k differnet spectra, kevlar, TapeDrive to around €22k-25k for high tech Carbon Technora sails. Main + jib EX VAT.

Regarding to size and very similar structure, H470 have to be around 70-80% of that.

Cwetto
Hanse 540e 2007, sailing Med
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>