myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

385 Galvanic Isolator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clouded Pearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 385 Galvanic Isolator
    Posted: 01 January 2014 at 14:29
I have just fitted a failsafe galvanic isolator to my second hand 385 as I could not find one fitted already. Since then, I have come across various posts on other Hanse models and some have suggested these are fitted as standard.

I know it sounds like I'm being dumb (sorry) but when I was pricing a new 385 in the UK in September before opting for 2nd hand, a galvanic isolator was not a factory fit option.

To anybody who has bought a 385 new, please can you tell me if a G I is installed as standard and if so, where, as I looked high and low in the shorepower earth before it connects to the fuse panel.

Thanks, Geoff

Edited by Clouded Pearl - 01 January 2014 at 14:31
GrainDeSel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrainDeSel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2014 at 14:34
geoff
In my H385#139 a galvanic is installed as standard. It is in the the port side cockpit box
Regards
Best regards
Jean-Marie
H385#139 june 2012
Clouded Pearl View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clouded Pearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2014 at 14:50
Interesting. Definitely not there on mine but it is an early one, hull no 12
Manyata View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manyata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2014 at 19:28
Hi

Same as previous post - my Hanse 385 #213 - GI fitted as standard in port cockpit locker - aft end of locker fitted high up out of sight.

Regards

Tim
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clouded Pearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2014 at 20:03
Hmmmmm. I may not have looked carefully enough. If it is there, I'll just bypass it and run the earth through the new one which I've already fitted and keep the old one installed in situ. Thanks.
richz View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2014 at 23:29
Interesting thread. I've ordered a new 345 and I was planning to install a galvanic isolator. Can anyone confirm whether the yard is installing this as standard also on the 345?
Thank you and Happy New Year to everyone!
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Clouded Pearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2014 at 07:48
Hi. You could email your Hanse agent (Inspiration Marine?)and they should confirm.

One thing I have learned about this issue is there are essentially 2 types of GI : standard and 'failsafe'. If the unit fails, through lightning strike, surge or whatever, the diodes in the GI blow. In the standard GI, they fail 'open', meaning the earth on your shore power is lost. As all metal parts on the Hanse are (or certainly should be) 'bonded' to earth, if you then get an AC short circuit on a device like your 240v kettle, the RCD will not trip and there is then a real risk of all metal parts being 'hot' ie live. This is not good if you value your life! Apparently there was some research done in the UK a while back and something like 5% of boats tested had a faulty GI which was not working. Apart from the corrosion issue this would pose, it is a more of a concern if you have a 240v appliance short circuit thereafter and the RCD does not trip because there's no earth.

A failsafe GI fails 'closed' ie the diodes fail closed and so the shore earth remains intact so RCD protection remains.

I have noticed from some of the pictures taken of the factory fitted GIs that they seem to be the standard version. The following link shows the most common types that seem to be fitted in the UK:

http://www.sterling-power.com/products-galvanic.htm

Most of the ones I have seen in the photos on this forum are the black box type which I believe are the standard versions. For safety, if these are used, they should be linked to a warning guage which alerts the user to a failure of the GI so that they can fix this before any AC appliance subsequently fails and poses a risk of electrocution.

I ended up fitting the Pro Safe FS 60. Have a read on the above site and it explains why this is safer. If it fails, granted, you end up back to square one where you have a risk of galvanic corrosion until you fix the device, but that's maybe better than electric shock! I test the GI every month as part of a routine checklist. This can be done using a simple multimeter in 'diode mode'.

I would check with the agent what type, if any, is being fitted

I hope this helps?

Regards. Geoff

Edited by Clouded Pearl - 02 January 2014 at 09:42
richz View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2014 at 11:12
Originally posted by Clouded Pearl Clouded Pearl wrote:

Hi. You could email your Hanse agent (Inspiration Marine?)and they should confirm.

One thing I have learned about this issue is there are essentially 2 types of GI : standard and 'failsafe'. If the unit fails, through lightning strike, surge or whatever, the diodes in the GI blow. In the standard GI, they fail 'open', meaning the earth on your shore power is lost. As all metal parts on the Hanse are (or certainly should be) 'bonded' to earth, if you then get an AC short circuit on a device like your 240v kettle, the RCD will not trip and there is then a real risk of all metal parts being 'hot' ie live. This is not good if you value your life! Apparently there was some research done in the UK a while back and something like 5% of boats tested had a faulty GI which was not working. Apart from the corrosion issue this would pose, it is a more of a concern if you have a 240v appliance short circuit thereafter and the RCD does not trip because there's no earth.

A failsafe GI fails 'closed' ie the diodes fail closed and so the shore earth remains intact so RCD protection remains.

I have noticed from some of the pictures taken of the factory fitted GIs that they seem to be the standard version. The following link shows the most common types that seem to be fitted in the UK:

http://www.sterling-power.com/products-galvanic.htm

Most of the ones I have seen in the photos on this forum are the black box type which I believe are the standard versions. For safety, if these are used, they should be linked to a warning guage which alerts the user to a failure of the GI so that they can fix this before any AC appliance subsequently fails and poses a risk of electrocution.

I ended up fitting the Pro Safe FS 60. Have a read on the above site and it explains why this is safer. If it fails, granted, you end up back to square one where you have a risk of galvanic corrosion until you fix the device, but that's maybe better than electric shock! I test the GI every month as part of a routine checklist. This can be done using a simple multimeter in 'diode mode'.

I would check with the agent what type, if any, is being fitted

I hope this helps?

Regards. Geoff

Hi Geoff,

thanks a lot for your e-mail. I will check with my dealer. I was planning to install the ProSafe FS 30 (which should be enough for my boat).
regards,

rich

Silver View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2014 at 21:08
Hi Richard,

I can tell you that it was installed as standard in my Hanse 345 hull # 51, delivered in May 2013.
To tell you the truth, the guy that was showing me my boat when I was visiting the yard just before delivery was unaware of this when I asked, but I did found it during my inspection
It is in the upper part, aft side, of the left locker, just as in the case of the 385 I see.

Anyway, it is right to say that it is not quoted in the spec sheet, so you'd better ask your dealer to stay on the safe side.

I take the opportunity of wishing a great 2014 to everyone.

Cheers,

Maurizio
Hanse 345 # 51 Performance sails Volvo D1-30 KiwiProp Coppercoat
richz View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2014 at 07:48
hi Maurizio,
Thanks! will definitively check with my dealer.
Cheers,

Rich

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>