myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SD50 seacock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 19:07
Hi Börje

Is it correctly understood that the thread into the body of the SD50 is size 1"?
After realizing today that I cannot renovate the old original seacock I tried to loosen the valve with a massive 36mm spanner. I did not manage to loosen it. 
Did you dismantle the seacock with the saildrive still in the boat and in such case any trick you can share how you succeeded to loosen the seacock?
BTW I'm extremely grateful for the information you have shared. Its looks like a great solution which you describe very well. Many thanks!
/Patrik
Borjebus View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borjebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 22:17
Yes, the SD50 threads are 1".
We used a big adjustable spanner (Swedish skiftnyckel) and it took some time to find good grips as the valve is square. At some time we used the top of the valve, which is hex, and as it was totally stuck to the valve body that was also useful.
Yes,  we did this from the port cabin.
/Börje

Edited by Borjebus - 25 May 2021 at 22:18
BÄSK, Hanse 370e #82 from 2006, Yanmar 3JH4E/SD50, 3-blade Flexofold, RMC(Lewmar) 185 Bowthruster, Vulcan 9, Simrad+B&G instruments
toholthe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 10:29
I just changed my valve on the SD50 yesterday on my H400. Changed it out with a Trudesing valve and used a thruhull with cut of flange as male to male connector. Worked fine. The threads on the old valve are tampered. That is why some users on this forum have run a taper tap to "clean" the threads. I did not do this. Managed to rotate it at least 6 times, so should be ok anyway. Plenty of locktite 5331 in between.
H64 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 10:45
Hi Börje

Now I have received my parts as you described from Ital Nordic. I ordered their loctite with the parts.
How did you tighten the connections, did you use loctite? Any suggestions to make the installation leak-free?
On another note, have you had performance issues with your SD50 saildrive? 
In my case we have only had the boat for two seasons and it was first in water 2008. Poor documentation and feedback from previous owner but to me it looks like that no major maintenance work (cone polishing) has been done despite 850h operating hours.
We have until now even had the first wrong oil measurement stick, with the risk of filling too much.
For some reason I only got 1.85liter transmission oil out of the SD50. The oil looked in my eyes fine. We have no issues with visible oil leakages.
Lots of comments written about which oil quality to be used in the SD50, what is your take-away on this?

Finally I hope your sailing season has started and that you can look forward to great sailing the coming days with the good weather finally showing up!
We hope next week to be back down in the water and also startup the season.
BR
Patrik
Borjebus View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borjebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 11:47
Hi Patrik,

We used something similar to Loctite from Würth, some yellow stuff.
No, no performance issues, luckily.
I have replaced the oil stick as it made me overfill and that caused water in the oil and I had to replace the seals behind the propeller. Now I have also made the SD50 ventilated - a nipple on the top and a transparent hose up to the top of the engine compartment.
There is a lot written in this forum about oil quality, and I have managed to buy a Castrol oil aimed for old machines; tractors, vintage cars, etc. Castrol Manual EP 80W is a GL4 oil suitable for SD50 and I got it from Oljemagasinet in Sweden.
/Börje
BÄSK, Hanse 370e #82 from 2006, Yanmar 3JH4E/SD50, 3-blade Flexofold, RMC(Lewmar) 185 Bowthruster, Vulcan 9, Simrad+B&G instruments
Lippe View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 14:21
Originally posted by toholthe toholthe wrote:

I just changed my valve on the SD50 yesterday on my H400. Changed it out with a Trudesing valve and used a thruhull with cut of flange as male to male connector. Worked fine. The threads on the old valve are tampered. That is why some users on this forum have run a taper tap to "clean" the threads. I did not do this. Managed to rotate it at least 6 times, so should be ok anyway. Plenty of locktite 5331 in between.

Hi Toholthe,
Which year model is your H400? Was the old valve easy to disconnect?
H64 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 15:13
In my case I’m copying Borje’s solution. Meaning a ball valve fitted with 1” male/male fitting direct into the body of the SD50. 
I only hesitate regarding which pipe sealant to use. 
With Teflon tape I can easy optimise the position of the
ball valve. The marine pipe part supplying company 
suggested I use Loctite 275. 
This product can however only be loosened using a heat gun
which makes me nervous very close to SD50 large rubber
gasket between sail drive and the hull. 
Any suggestion and experience to share is very welcome. 
I would prefer to use Teflon tape even though I in the past struggled to get my pipe seals tight. 
Cheers 
Patrik
toholthe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 15:21
No problem removing the old one. I had a 36mm wrench which fit perfectly over the square part. Once it was turned half a turn it came out easily. 

I removed the exhaust hose during the change. 

Edited by toholthe - 28 May 2021 at 22:13
toholthe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2021 at 08:07
36mm wrench perfect fit:

The threads on the old valve are slightly tampered i think. Not easy to see from photo. Normal TruDesign I was able to turn ca. 6 revs.

Finished:

Edited by toholthe - 29 May 2021 at 08:10
smith_morten View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smith_morten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2022 at 20:36
Thank you for pictures and description. Today we succeed in changing the sea cock on our SD50. It took a lot work and almost two very hard turns before the halve got easier to turn.
We also had to remove the exhaust, but afterwards we could access the sea cock from the hatch the in port cabin, from the top and from the hole where the exhaust has access to the engine also ind the port cabin.
New trudesign valve has been installed.

S/Y Fionia (H400), Denmark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>