myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Painting Hull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2014 at 18:24
Yes, H8jer

I know that especially second hand prices have plummeted since the financial crisis (What a shame Cry .... Depending on your perspective, of course..Big smile).

...and yes, you can in fact assume that I will be spending more than 8800 Euros. I am afraid that I am on the "wrong" side of 15.000 Euros all together...hmmm. well, I agree with you - and with Ed and Simon....

our boats are maybe more valuable to us than most other boats are to their owners.

Here is one more photo, which I took earlier today. Two more layers wlll be applied after this...wauwBig smile

Ole,
Kirkelund

"Amani"
Lynetten, Copenhagen, Denmark
Hanse 342 (grey hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, Jefa rudder - RUD34)
lukemi View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2014 at 20:37
Time to get back to a few posts here. I used to use my work computer to respond on occasion but everything is locked down now for virus protection. These companies for proffit really make it hard on us workers that want to access private BB at work Smile

Anyway my boat is scheduled to be pulled at the end of this week for painting. It is a VERY expensive option but I REALLY dislike the faded blue gel coat from my original purchase. I remember paying extra for this blue hull. I wish I had used that money elsewhere and had a spray color from the start. My sales person said the gel coat blue would hold up better. Ouch

I don't know the total cost yet but the estimates are as follows:
    a. $8,100 if only hull is painted
    b. another $3,000 if white strips and transom can't be  buffed out.
    c. Hauling out and back in $400
    d. Demasting (required to get in paint bay) $1100 (estimate)
    e. New black/chrome rub rail $900

As you can see, getting rid of the faded blue Hanse coloring is quit expensive. If I didn't like the rest of the boat this could have been a starting deposit for a newer boat. But then I would have to start over again and get the boat the way I wanted it. Confused

As it turned out, my graphic designer did have the Hanse Logo in their stock  of PDF clipart. So at least people will know what make of boat after a new paint job.

Mike
Stella Maris

mopoulter View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2014 at 14:51
$ 1100 to demast
Wow that's expensive.
I do my own but even if I pay it is about $400
Check that price out

mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2014 at 20:09
Hi Mike

I guess you would know, since you have had your boat from new and even paid extra for the blue color! But, are you sure the blue color was actually gel coat and not some kind of polyurethane paint? I have heard that the dark colored Hanses are sprayed after they have come out of the the mold. Hhmm, I am still not sure what type of paint was on Amani when I bought the boat in the UK in 2009 (it was then three years old). In fact, I suspect that I have ruined the surface myself by polishing it as you would normally do with gel coat.Cry

Anyway, polishing is now overWink

BTW, I agree with mp that $1100 for demasting sounds expensive. I would expect that you will get the mast back on again for that price.

Please update us with the paint job when you get there.

Ole,
Kirkelund

"Amani"
Agathe 341 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agathe 341 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2014 at 16:30

Yes the financial crisis has given falling prices of sailboats, now it is possible to get a Hanse 430 E for DKK 14.00, equivalent to about 2 €, delivered directly to your mailbox.

Ulrik Holt
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2014 at 20:13
Hi Everyone

Well, it did cross my mind to start a thread dedicated to the "Transformation of Amani", but never mind this one on "Painting Hull" is perfectly suitable for the subject.

So here is a small update on the painting of Amani. Last (3rd) layer of Awlgrip has now been applied and the boat looks fantastic with almost mirror-like finish. In combination with a total make-over of the bottom (Intershield epoxy and white Trilux 33 antifouling) Amani does in fact appear completely NEWBig smile

Congratulations to Sydmarin in Råå, SwedenClap

Here are some pictures that I took earlier today. The upper thin white stripe and the Hanse logo will come on tomorrow. A few of the Trudesign fittings are still missing, but the boat is scheduled for launch by the end of next week.

I have tried to adjust the color settings a bit on this photo (a bit brighter and reduction of shades).

Did I say "mirror-like"? It is me and the wife in the mirror Wink

Ole,
Kirkelund

"Amani"
Idelfix View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idelfix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2014 at 20:34
White hull not ready to paint yet

"Keep sailing in free wind"

http://suhrfa.blogspot.se

kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2014 at 18:36
Looking great, Idelfix!

Proof of the durability of white gelcoat......erh and of your maintenance, of courseWink

Ole,
Kirkelund

"Amani"
Eduard View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eduard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2014 at 19:42
Great job, Kirkelund. However, it must be expensive.

Enjoy the upcoming sailing season!
Ed

sy "Nimby" Hanse 342 #611 (2007); white hull, (one) wheel steering, Selden mast & boom, furlex 200S, deep draught, two cabins, traveller in cockpit, DSC VHF, inboard ap, B&G Zeus + Triton (2x)
plattgatt View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plattgatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2014 at 21:19
Gut gemacht Kirkelund, 
Leider habe ich meinen dunkelgrauen Rumpf hell gestrichen: Whisher grau. 
Dunkelgrau ist die bessere Wahl, meine Frau ist sehr traurig!Cry
370#641 "aqua d`or"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>