myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modifications for ocean passage sailing (1)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cptgood View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cptgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2018 at 19:07
Hi,
how are the ceiling handrails fixed inside the boat? 
thanks 
Hanse320 - Hull#127/08 - Wheel - ST headsail - Yanmar 3YM30 - SD20
gregd View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2018 at 16:49
Hi.

Very interesting post with a lot of great info. I like handrails very much, especially near the galley. Lack of handrails in a cabin definitely is a bummer. 

I just made a passage from USA North-East via Bermuda to Caribbean and back. I have 3 reefs on a main. The third reef is a must. When wind start blowing 25+ the third reef and storm jib become real things.

First reef is optional, because no one reefs until wind blows around 20kn, but it is time for the second reef already. However, we used the first reef on the passage during the night, to relieve strain on a watch person.

As additional equipment, i would suggest to put another pair of the main winches. In this case you can make storm jib as a self tacker run sheets form the main jib via snatch blocks or antal rings to the second pair of winches. 
Also i would suggest to add Dutchman boom brake. It will really help sailing down the wind and avoid accidental jibes. Boom brake works like a charm. Just run the boom brake lines to the second pair of the winches. Down the wind the second pair of the winches are very helpful to manage the spinnaker as well.

For the spinnaker blocks, rings i would suggest to add strong padeyes with the backing plates/washers near rear cleat. Very convenient for spinnaker as well as attachment point for the running backs. 

Using tangs for the back runners looks like bit excessive. I have hooks with the fixed rectangle at the end, make the rectangle holes in tha mast and just slide hooks into the hole. Works like a charm. Also I am using 3/8 dyneema line form the mast to the air block, instead of SS cable. It makes rigging easier and decrease weight up to the mast. B&G electronics on top of companionway also helps a lot. Helmsman can easily see what is going on, without lowering their eyes which is very convenient for the night watches.

greg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12