myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

adjustable Genoa cars on a 385

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adjustable Genoa cars on a 385
    Posted: 20 May 2014 at 08:31

I can't remember who was talking about making adjustable cars on a 'new style' Hanse, so I will post it here.   this is my solution.

There is a fairlead on the grab handle, then the control line passes through the same fairlead as the sheet, and then back to a new cleat on the winch support.  

There are NO holes in the jelcoat which is what i wanted, so that I can remove it all and leave the boat as new.

Edited by Mark&Catherine - 20 May 2014 at 08:35
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Swanji View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swanji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 10:18
Hi Mark

Now we are talking

I see you have fitted the track onto the coachroof no doubt for being able to point higher.

As a part owner, the chances of my convincing the other owners to go for a small overlapping headsail to balance our rig is fairly slim and we have also just replaced our self tacker with a new ACL large roach vertical battened jib which works really well except off the wind. Instead of only rigging the jib sheets and using our barber haulers when required, I am thinking of leaving the sheets on permanently so that when the point of sail requires, we can lose the self tacker and use the sheets instead. The added benefit is that we will be able to hove to more easily without having to make use of the cars on the self tacking track. I don't want to start another debate here about hoving to. I personally have tried it in fairly benign conditions and it works even if not perfectly.

Thanks for sharing

Edited by Swanji - 20 May 2014 at 10:31
Onwards and upwards

Nidri, Levkada, Ionian, Greece

Hanse 350 #7, SY Evolution, standard keel, 3YM20 sail drive, 3 cabins, cherry wood interior, teak decks, feathering prop
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 11:19
The 105 I have is quite a good one, I think it's a DEN 6 on the elvestrom list, which makes it stiffer than the normal or FcL self tackers so the performance increase is not just the added size. it has longer vertical battens too.

I was out yesterday for a cruise up to the club for tonight's race, and the wind got up to 15 knots. As we were beating, the apparent was well over 20 knots, so we reefed the main and put 3 turns on the 105. Normally this would stuff up the sheeting point, but now we just rolled the cars forward and the sail shape came back to correct, so we sailed on at 7.5 knots.

the tracks came as an option on the boat new, but the adjusting mechanism is simple and relatively inexpensive.

Maybe take your other owner down the pub and ask him after a couple of pints?
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 11:21
You can see the reefed sail in the pictures
plattgatt View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plattgatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 18:27
Thumbs Up bravo, good solution
370#641 "aqua d`or"
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 22:34
raced again tonight and thought I would share another technique with you.  Tuesdays are white sails only, so we rig our spinnaker sheets to the jib/genoa in addition to the sheets through the track cars.  we rig them outside the shrouds, just as you would for the spinnaker or gennaker.

when you bear away down wind, use the normal sheets first, with the cars moved forward to control the twist in the top of the sail, as you go deeper start to use the spinnaker sheets.  This will move the clew out and back even with the sail well full.  Use a combination of the two sheets to set the clew and see what a difference it makes to the draw.  I think you could do this with the ST too.

Of course if you are allowed flying sails, don't bother, as you come off the wind just hoist something bigger and furl the jib/Genoa.

Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 08:53

Here are my 4 sheets.  When deep downwind we also use the gennaker sheets for the whisker pole, we have the load on the normal sheet until the pole is fitted to the mast with its up-haul and then sheet in on the second sheet, then when we remove the pole we transfer the load back to the normal sheet first.

The boat behind is an XC45 going out for its tuesday cruise, lovely boat.  
Cumulus View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 18:13
Hi, My 385 is an 2017 mod, with selftacking jib, FCL, like the main. I also have a Elvstrøm code zero in CZ laminat and I am very satisfied with that, but I now consider to order a 105 % for clubrace As well As for long distanse Cruising. I concider that FCL laminat cloth is good enough for me When i dont have any big ambitions on the race coars. Your solution Seems quite informative, Are you still happy with that solution or Is there any changes that you reccomend ? Do you have a Sparecraft ring or Selden ring ? Maybe there Are some differenses where to mount the track and length Regarding Sperecraft rig vs Selden rig ?
Do you think there is a noticeable differensierer betjene the FCL and DEN 6 cloth ?
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2019 at 17:37
Sorry I have realised I have missed this post.  We haven't changed our solution for adjusting the cars, and we use them quite a lot.  Our rig is Z spars.  The tracks were fitted as an option at the start, but the cars had pins and could not be adjusted from the cockpit so I added the new cars and control lines.  The Den 105 is lighter than the FCL and there are continuous lines in the sail rather than panels, so it holds its shape better.  Ours is now 6 years old and probably coming up to 10,000 miles.  I need to get some stitching repaired on the foot this year but I will keep it for a while yet.  I have already replaced the main with another FCL because it was poorly serviced and left wet one year so it de-laminated.  
Cumulus View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2019 at 10:04
Thanks for reasonable comments. Just Wonder What is the Aprx differens in speed achived beating in light wind ( 3- 5 m/s) 105% vs jib 95% ? ( the increase in cloth area is limited to only 4-5 sm )
Further, from your experiance, are there a differense in beat/attack angle between the two ?

Edited by Cumulus - 11 September 2019 at 10:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>