myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flexofold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2014 at 21:25
Alidal,

Could you explain the difference in performance and maneuvering you noticed between the fixed 2 blade prop and your folding 2 blade prop.
Why did you choose for the 2 blade folding vs. the 3 blade?

Regards Peter.
Hanse 400e "M-square2" #0241
alidal View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alidal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2014 at 22:00
I think it`s less propwalk and better performance, both ahead and astern. 
I got a very good deal on a used one....Smile 
Hanse 400#655
Thompy View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2014 at 20:36
I have a H400#805 (2011) with the Volvo D2-40 saildrive. The boat came with a 2 blade fixed Volvo prop, which I changed in 2012 to a 2 blade folding Volvo prop - 17x11x2, based on advice from a Volvo agent.

I was not totally convinced by the advice given by the agent at the time, and am now firmly of the view that the prop is undersized for the boat - I struggle to get more than ~5.4 knts at cruising revs (~220rpm) in flat water, and struggle to make much headway under power when motoring into chop.

I have spoken to Flex-o-fold, who suggested getting a 17x12x3 prop. A different Volvo agent has suggested a 18x12x3 prop.

I am set on getting a 3 blade prop rather than a 2 blade, as I want power to be able to make way into a headsea. Both the new recommendations are up in size from what I have at present, which confirms my view that the current prop is undersized.

Any suggestions as to what to go for, or any other alternatives, would be appreciated!

Many thanks

Thompy
Mike400 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2014 at 22:10
Hi
We have a H400 # 807 from 2011, Volvo Penta D2-40. We got a flex o fold 17x12x3L 3 blad, mounted directly at the factory 2011, the fixed two bladed propeller we have the original as a spare.
I'm so happy, love the engine and our propeller, do not know exactly but about 7 knots not under at 2200 rpm, works perfectly, good power both front and rear.
Feels safe when the wind blows and you must maneuver the boat at sea and in the harbor, just my personal opinion, sorry for my bad english Google, hope you can understand .....
Regards

Mike

H400 S/Y "Mystique"
Rock View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2014 at 10:24

My 2007 H400e (bought  1 month ago)  with 39HP Yanmar,  still has the standard 2 blade fixed prop, hence I started looking for  a folding prop.

Based on what I read on the forum (great) and contact with Flexofold (Marlene) I decided (ordered this week) to go with the 17x13-3L.

Flexofold first advice was a 2-blade 17x14L or a 3-blade 17x12-3L.

I saw so many different sizes mentioned here on the forum that I asked Marlene about it.

It appears to all come down to engine makers requirements and peoples preferences.

For instance Yanmar would  say that the engine should be able to run 3000RPM’s + 6-8% (17x12-3L), Marlene said a 17x13-3L would run to app. 3000 RPM’s .

A bigger prop (and larger pitch) gives more speed and thrust (if the engine can support it).

Clearly you don’t want the max rev’s of a diesel at 2000 if it was designed to do 3000.

Based on the fact that I saw (on the forum)  several owners with a  H400 mentioned they have a 17x13-3L (also factory installed) that were happy with it, and that I like to be able to do the speed (when needed) and have same speed at lower rev’s, I choose the 13 pitch instead of the 12.

The reason I went with Flexofold (while I used to have a 3 blade Gori, that I was quite happy with, on my previous boat) is that it seems to be the ‘preferred’ (most used) prop with Hanse’s, and the fact that Flexofold came out looking real good in the Yachting Monthly prop test.

Peter.

Hanse 400e "M-square2" #0241
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2014 at 11:56
The standard option 2 blade Flex-o-fold prop fitted to the 415 with a D2-40 Volvo engine is 17 x 14 L (left) - see attached photo.

It is about right for the 415 - 2000rpm gives around 6.5 knots in slight sea and flat out is 8+ knots at just over 3000rpm. Average cruising diesel consumption is around 2.3 l/hr at 2000rpm.

Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Thompy View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2014 at 09:45
Mike (& Peter & Roger),

Thanks for all the replies - very helpful. I have been dealing with Marlene at Flex-o-fold too. Looks like 17x12-3L would do the job - although I will see what she says about the merits of the 17x13-3L too - for the Volvo engine it might mean I can't reach maximum revs of 3200rpm, but I wouldn't have thought it would reduce it that much...even if it meant I could only get 3000rpm it should still be ok??? That's still well above my normal cruising revs of 2200rpm.

Given the recent Volvo suggestion of 18x12-3L, that's broadly the same as 17x13-3L (drop a size in diameter and increase a size in pitch), so a Flexofold of 17x13-3L ought to be ok too....

Will let you know how this pans out...thanks again for your help.

Regards

Thompy

SY Tarskavaig
Nerthuz View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nerthuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2014 at 15:43
I had 17x14 2-blade Flexofold on a Hanse 385 with D2 - 40.
Thompy View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 22:59
Hi all,

Following the very useful feedback here, I went for a flexofold 17x14-2L in the end for my 400 with the D2-40 saildrive. I had the boat out of the marina yesterday for the first time with the new prop, and it has made a huge difference. The sea state was slight, and at 2000rpm the boat was doing 6.7 - 7knts, and still felt like there was plenty in reserve. Can't complain with that!

Thanks again for all the suggestions Smile

Thompy

H400 #805
polpoctopus View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polpoctopus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2015 at 07:02
http://hanse.boatoon.com/en/faltpropeller-2-blatt-links-17x14.html

17/14
and is better 3 blade, under sails is the same effect but with engine is better 3 blade
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>