myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lost Windows Hull

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarianoAlvarez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lost Windows Hull
    Posted: 10 September 2014 at 11:37

The hull side starboard window were lost this summer in my Hanse 430e assembled in 2007, while I was sailing with 15 knots of wind.

Can anybody tell me, if some one had the same problem, and How was it repaired for don't having the same problem again.

Regards,

Mariano

Eduard View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eduard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2014 at 11:41
Check this post:
http://myhanse.com/very-bad-adventure-with-470e_topic7299.html
Ed

sy "Nimby" Hanse 342 #611 (2007); white hull, (one) wheel steering, Selden mast & boom, furlex 200S, deep draught, two cabins, traveller in cockpit, DSC VHF, inboard ap, B&G Zeus + Triton (2x)
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2014 at 15:55
Happened also to us :

http://www.myhanse.com/leaking-windows-again_topic5123.html
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
Alain & Anne View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2014 at 19:00
Hi,
It did happen to us on our way to New Zealand. Boat has been repaired the same way: acrylic bounded on the hull. 
I am thinking of making mechanical fittings to be sure I'll not loose it again!
Here attached pictures:

UHAMBO 430e#004
White hull-teck deck-Yanmar 55hp-long range cruising
OCC

Our blog: www.uhambo.fr

Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2014 at 10:19
Sorry guys,

"Apple" may have found a wonderful description for this opening function ..

But as hanse is not apple, these hullwindows are a bug and not a feature!

Blake 370
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 07:30
I think the best replacement will be mineral glass with UV masking (like in car windshields). A good glas supplier will be able to do that  and that will last forever. 

The problem is not the UV but the release agent in the Plexi (from the production of the plexi). Thas will come out over the time and release the glue from the plexi. If you want to use plexi again then you should take extruded plexi. 

BR Thomas
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Helios_ri View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helios_ri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 02:16
I bought a 2008 Hanse 43e here in the states last year and to my shock the stbd hull window fell right out of the boat.

The fix was installing two new Lewmar windows which come with an aluminum frame. Requires preparing the hull cavity to accept the new frame and screws, but it is a minor effort.

Helios_ri View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Helios_ri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 02:20
The windows that Hanse sent me had this sticker on them. They fit nicely:
Lykke View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lykke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2020 at 10:16
Last summer I talked with another Hanse 430 owner who had lost his hull window in rough sea and took in so much water that he lost his electronics before it was discovered.

His window had been repaired by people sent from the yard. I think they had used the Sikaflex system with primer and sealant to glue it in place again. In addition they had added some black UV-tape on outside to protect the glue from the sunlight.

This year when I had the boat on land I used the opportunity to check my windows. (Did not dear to do it on the sea). My windows were completely loose, just held in place by friction and popped out by a light push from a finger.

I contacted the local Hanse dealer and asked what kind of glue to use. They told me that they now had started to use the Tec7 glue which was a relief as this was easy to get hold of. I hope this Tec7 last better than the original glue:

For info: If anyone need to make a new "glass" somewhere in the world, the original thickness is 10 mm:

From now on, it will be on my checklist to give these window a light push when the boat is on land for maintenance and new ant-fouling.

Lykke, Hanse 430e, #8 from 2007
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2020 at 11:46
you need to replace the acrylic with mineral safety glas than you don't have to worry anymore. With a proper UV cover (black primer from the glas manufacturer) than you are safe.

Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
 Post Reply Post Reply