myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel consumption

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2014 at 16:40
I also have the Volvo 29 Hp engine.
I run the enigine mostly at 2000 rpm and fuel consumption is just under 2 ltr/hr. This is in line with he fuel consumption diagram in the Manual.
Frank
seileren1 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seileren1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2016 at 14:13
In noticed this one «old» tread so I thought I would post question about fuel consumption.

On my latest trip I average about 9 liter pr hour doing 2000 rpm (about 7 knots) on my Volvo 110 hp in my Hanse 545. This is quite a bit more than previous consumption figures – I had 5 liter previously. The boat is due to air filter change (2 years since last) and hull cleaning (2 years since last).

My question to you all is can this high consumption be explained by these two factors or should I look for other explanations also?

Cheers

Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2016 at 15:25
Seileren1,

We have a 575 with a D3 110Gi engine spinning a standard FlexaFold 3 blade 24 X15 prop and get the following with full fuel, full water, provisions only 2 people on board low winds, nil current-
1600 rpm = 7kn, fuel flow 5 lt/hr
1700 rpm = 7.3kn fuel flow 5.8 lt/hr
1800 rpm = 7.6kn fuel flow 6.7 lt/hr
1900 rpm = 8.0kn fuel flow 7.7 lt/hr
2000 rpm = 8.2kn fuel flow 9 lt/hr 

The above fuel flow rates were taken from the Volvo engine via the fuel usage computer upgrade and if anything appear a bit on the high side but only by about 5%.

I gather your speed and fuel figures were without headwinds and currents negatively affect your speed. 

The cause of your high fuel consumption is likely to be a combination of -

1. dirty air cleaner
2. Hull fouling
3. Fouling on your prop.

If your hull is fouled your prop will possibly be worse than the hull and would be a major contributor to your poor fuel consumption figure or more to the fact, poor speed for your engine speed. Your fuel consumption figure at 2000 rpm is about right. 

Happy hunting for your problem.   
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
sflier View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sflier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2016 at 01:52
I found the data here to be accurate for me.  D1-30 at 2200 = ~2L hour ... about what I've experienced.

http://www.boat-fuel-economy.com/volvo-penta-diesel-d1-13-fuel-consumption-us-gallons

seileren1 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seileren1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2016 at 11:47
Thank you guys for the link and information on real life consumption on the different engine revs. The problem seems to be the boat speed and not the consumption, which indicates prop and hul resistance.

I will investigate this further as soon as I am back I Portugal to hoist her.

Cheers
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2016 at 13:17
Seileren1,

If you have far to go before you hoist out it would be worthwhile going for a snorkel/dive and clean your propeller. I would think you will find there would be a noticeble difference in your speed/fuel consumption.
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2016 at 17:33
I have the D1-30 on my 345 with the Volvo Folding Prop:
Here is what I have got ( +/- 5 % ), rpm/consumption values are from Volvo manual,
speeds were GPS based SOG in calm water with no current, clean hull and prop in spring

2000 rpm    2.0 ltr/h      6.3 knots
2200 rpm    2.5 ltr/h      6.7 knots
2400 rpm    3.0 ltr/h      7.1 knots 
2600 rpm    3.5 ltr/h      7.4 knots
2800 rpm    4.5 ltr/h      7.5 knots
3000 rpm    5.5 ltr/h      7.6 knots

I am mostly running at 2000 - 2200 rpm

Frank
mopoulter View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2016 at 17:01
I cruise @ 2800-3000 rpm with Gori 2 blade prop and get about 6.3-6.8 knots on flat water
consumption is about 4l/hour
I have Yanmar 29 HP engine. 
So nothing surprising here I figure. 

mp
mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2016 at 20:54
hey seileren,
we have a 545e build 2010 with Yanmar 4JH4-HTE 110Hp arround 1700 engine hours and Flexofold  folding 3 blade prop 24 x 15. every year (6 months in the water 6 months on the drypark)we clean the hull and put 1 layer of Micron extra and cleaning the prop and put waterrisitant grease on it.
Our average fuelconsumption at 1800 Rpm = 7.3 knots = 5 l/h 2000 RPM =8 knots = 5.5 l/h
The airfilter, hull and prop cleaning can be a big factor but normaly every 1000 hours our 3 year the engine need a big service including :
taking out the whole injectionline cleaning and adjustment with measuring test by the Yanmar importer-dealer
taking out the whole turbo cleaning and adjustment( dirt in the turbocharger can by the problem)
taking out en cleaning the exhaust elbow, cooling system
etc.
reassembly and test run with measuring tests.

Edited by Wild - 08 June 2016 at 21:12
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
seileren1 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seileren1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2016 at 08:04
Thanks Wild for your information. Thorough maintence is important for the engine wear and tear and the fuel consumption. However, diesel engines are robust beasts, which run forever.

I was a little surprised by your low fuel consumption numbers. From other sources see above the equivalent Volvo engine will use about 9 liters per hour at 2000 rpm. This is the same as I experienced on the latest leg of our trip - crossing the dreaded Biscay and the north coast of Spain/Portugal with zero wind…

Cheers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>