myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Loud noise from the fresh water pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sailmania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loud noise from the fresh water pump
    Posted: 11 August 2015 at 16:02
We are in to the second season with our H575 and our boat is configured with two front cabins with two heads in the front. The fresh water pump for all taps is located in the port side forward head. When someone flush the taps the noice from the pump really disturb those who stay in the port side cabin.

Is it just my pump or a common problem, I guess it's a Jabsco pump change to another brand, insulate?
Are there any suggestions how to solve this problem?  
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2015 at 16:52
A very common problem on all boats pretty much. What you can do is take a look at the installation and if it is hard mounted to the hull you can change that to be shock mounted with rubber insulators.
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2015 at 17:38
Sailmania,

The FW pump is mounted on isolation mounts supplied with the pump. But it is still noisy. You could reduce the number of start/stops by fitting a pressure tank of a few liters so the pump did not start every time a tap was turned on. Secondly you could relocate the pump to under the galley and also fit a pressure tank. Some additional insulation may also help.
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2015 at 18:38
As has been said, a common problem.  Our solution is to switch the water pump off at night.  At night, we leave some water in the wash basin and also have a 2 litre container (Ex washing up liquid bottle) of water for flushing down the toilet (less pump strokes) and refilling the wash basin if necessary. 
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2015 at 07:14
First of all the pump should only go on, when somebody is using the water. Otherwise you have a leak.

We have the same problem on our 370 as well since Hanse didn't really changed the way of installation. 

My idea is to put the pump in packaging foam (self foaming) in two halfs. I don't know if that helps but I will give it a try.

BR Thomas
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2015 at 11:23
Hallo,

same problem on my H575 with single big front cabin
the pump was located in the bathroom on the left side

My solution was not so simple but I am very satisfied, it consisted in 2 different steps :

I moved the pump position in the galley under the sofa behind the spar where the shipyard installed air-con unit
(the air-cond was moved to behind space, a gained a lot of stowage area as the pump is under floor level)

I also changed the pump and I now use a MARCO pump.
This pump, who has a bigger throughput, it is electronically controlled and the motor speed is variable.
The noise is VERY LOW compared to the Jabsco pump in spite of the bigger throughput.

If you are interested I can post some pictures to better explain my installation.

You could try to just do one of the 2 steps - either change pump type other change pump position - as I did the full change in the same time I can not assure you about the result.

Bye, Marco 
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2015 at 12:01
Marcopone,

It sounds like a simple upgrade just to change the water pump to the quieter one. Could you supply the pump model information and who in Italy you bought the pump through?

We are currently in Cagliari and about to sail to Sicily on Friday or Saturday. Where are located in Italy?
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2015 at 13:55
hallo,

pump type is : MARCO UP6/E
www.marco.it

My boat is in Lavagna (GE) and the installation work was carried out locally.

Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2015 at 10:15
Hello, I'm not sure this is the right place for this post, but I'll press on just the same. Our freshwater pump started playing up last year, sometimes you need to hit it to get it started, after that it runs fine. So I changed the pressure switch with no improvement, after which I just fitted a new pump and all was well.

So I was in a little engineering shop in Marmaris the other day, buying a new immersion element for the how water, and spotted another pump, and said perhaps we need a spare. The chap said, why,, these should last for ages and they have a three year guarantee? I said, well ours didn't last, and he said 'do you have an expansion chamber'. Well obviously we don't like most of you I suppose, since as soon as you turn a tap on, we get the pump. Bad news he said, if the pump pulses, as it does on slow flow, you will wreck your pump, why don't you fit a small chamber.

Now that's a good idea, because we get those little 'brrrp' noises in the night when the pump re pressurises the system (looked everywhere as far as I can tell it's the actual taps that leak a bit), and if I can stop that and look after my pump, so much the better. So a 2 litre chamber and a couple of fittings later, back to the boat. You need about half a metre of food grade hose, 2 jubilee clips and some tie wraps. Disconnect the output side of the pump and remove the fitting, feed this to the chamber, fit the new pipe from the chamber to the pump. Slide the lot between the water tank and the end of the bed (berth) and support with cable ties to stop it banging around. 30 minutes max. Then tune the pressure in the chamber so that the tap delivers about 1 litre of water before the pump cuts in, and you're done.

I'll post photos shortly
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2015 at 10:36
Did you go for go for an accumulator with a 'bladder" Mark? This is on my to do list too, I noticed recently there are some being sold that rely on the flex in the plastic tank to provide the pressure. A bit like a bottle rocket! Upside is they're inexpensive and no maintenance as the bladder can't deteriorate. However I guess you rely on the integrity of a stressed plastic tank to prevent the contents of the fresh water tank being dumped into the bilge at the wrong moment.

Anyone any experience of one versus the other?
Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>