myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 630
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

G2 Downwind Sail on furler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mehmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G2 Downwind Sail on furler
    Posted: 21 December 2015 at 13:13
I plan to buy a downwind sail but since I am using the boat shorthanded it has to be on furler. One of the North dealers say that G2 would work on a furler (the same way like Code zero).
Is there anybody WHO has experience with G2 on furler?
Rod View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2015 at 14:39
I purchased a G2 from North and it was fitted with a Marlow torsion line to work with a Karver KSF2 which also runs - ran my Elvstrom code zero/gennaker that came with the boat. Known affectionally as BOB - Big Orange B....d

However for the last couple of years I have had innumerable(lots of) problems with the top down and converted the G2 to a snuffer last year and it has worked well since then.
The karver regularly put a a reverse furl into the code zero which causes some bad language when trying to unfurl and some embarrassing loose sail cloth flapping around in the breeze.
A couple of weeks ago I could not unfurl as it was seriously stuck together so after a few hours in the local park we eventually unfurled the sail and fitted a snuffer.

So now I have both on snuffers and can sail singlehanded and launch retrieve with no issues.
BTW - No blame is laid at the door of the Karver .

Recently I was told by a sailmaker that it is the quality of the torsion line that makes a large difference to a top down furler.

Now I'm looking at a G0 on a furler to make life even easier in lighter winds and produce more speed!
Hanse 415 - "Ti"
Gocek,
Turkey.
Rod View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2015 at 14:43
My mistake no mention of top down - its the way to go I reckon, but cannot retrofit a torsion line in the luff of my G2 apparently due to the original cut of the sail.
Hanse 415 - "Ti"
Gocek,
Turkey.
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2015 at 16:45
Rod my retrofitted top down furled didn't work well either I'd go for a sail with the torsion  line already sewn onto the luff.

Edited by Mark&Catherine - 23 December 2015 at 06:42
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
mehmet View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mehmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2015 at 21:24
Thank you for sharing your experience. 
I was told the same regarding the torsion line. On wendesday I will have a meeting with my local north dealers rep. I heart the anti-gyration cable from "future fibers" works perfect with the special downwind furler.
Will see.

Persse View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Persse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 01:32
My local sailmaker has a bin full of torsion lines as people have abandoned them for snuffers.
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2015 at 03:42
You always have to think what you will do in the worst case scenario.
Flying a G2 spinnaker shorthanded on a 630 is looking for trouble.
Believe me and don't ask how I know.
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
cwetto View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2015 at 08:04
Maybe consider G1-G3 ?
Cwetto
Hanse 540e 2007, sailing Med
Lippe View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2015 at 12:16
North sales Finland told about specific torsion line that has minimal delay in rounds between up and down parts. I recall it was wrapped up from several lines together. Drawback is price and that is stiff to pack.
mehmet View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mehmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2015 at 20:18
I have 2 crew on board. They are experienced seamen but not experienced sailors but they can help.
I had a meeting today with north turkey and they say it wouldnt be a problem to handle the sail since the antitorsion cable from future fibre would work perfect with the furler from karver. Do you still think I should stay away of G2?
Your opinion is important to me. You have a similer size of boat. I have Jeanneau 64.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>