myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Access to hidden voids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lykke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Access to hidden voids
    Posted: 02 April 2016 at 23:30
Hi, I am the new owner of hull #8 from 2007. The boat is well held and mostly in original condition. But as a previous wood boat owner, there are two issues I might be a bit too hysterical concerned about. . . These are protection of endgrain of plywood that I find missing several places and a lot of inaccessible hidden voids that I would like to get easy access to.

What are the experiences from other boats here?
Is there reason to be concerned?

I have just cut a large inspection hole in the aft bulkhead to be able to inspect the stearing arrangement. I would appreciate any tip about where it is wise to have additional inspection hatches or openings. Special if any has made nice cutouts in the floor where there are no access and the floor plywood cannot be dismantled because of walls on top of it.

There are many places that now only can be checked with a tiny inspection camera, but I would like to get a hand in and also have the opportunity to use the places for storage.

Regards, Paal Fredrik.
seileren1 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seileren1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2016 at 20:37
Hi Lykke,

Just to confirm your observation, there are a number of unused hidden space in all Hanse modells. These can be found by making inspection hatches. Just make sure you do not cut into any vital parts. There are a few older postings here that will give you some ideas about extra hatches and opening up the the floor. About the end wood, this has not been a problem on my previous Hanse or the Hanse that I own today.

Cheers
Idelfix View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idelfix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 19:30
"Keep sailing in free wind"

http://suhrfa.blogspot.se

Idelfix View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idelfix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 19:38

iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 20:23
Hello, by interesting link. You changed your compressor to water cooling without changing the compressor? How is the result? How much did that cost?

BR Thomas

Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Idelfix View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idelfix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 19:49

iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2016 at 20:49
ok so you installed a complete new unit....

That is quite expensive!
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Lykke View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lykke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2016 at 21:35
Thank you Idelfix, I have already had good use of your Dropbox.

This is my first hole cut in the new boat.... size made to fit a plastic hatch. Not big enough to get my head in, but was able to check stearing arrangement by hand and a pocket camera.
Wondering why there have not been an easier access to these vital parts from factory. Know they should be maintenance free, but .....

Lykke View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lykke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2018 at 16:19
Cutting my way through the boat....

These are parts of what I did take out of the boat last Winter:

There are a lot of voids that can be turned into useful storage space around. I am special happy With this new shoe storage in the fore cabin:

I did originally planned to make some drawers here, but the inner lining towards the hull was so nice here so that I just decided to keep the openings uncovered.

Other places that are easy to create access to are:

Behind seats in saloon:

Hope this can give some inspiration to others....

Have not yet decided where to continue cutting this winter, but the floor in the aft cabins is a good candidate...

Lykke, Hanse 430e, #8 from 2007
Lykke View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lykke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 21:55
This winter I was brave enough to cut hole in the floors at the aft cabin.
To my surprise, these void have no drainage. Before I bought the boat, the previous owner had a leakage in the exhaust cooling water and there were still left water here more than 5 years since I bought the boat.

I am very impressed by the quality of the plywood Hanse has used in the bulkhead here. The lower part of the bulkhead has been standing in water for many years and it was just a bit black and with some few pieces of mold on it. I would have expected it would be completely disintegrated after so many years dipped in water. This is port side that was almost dried up. Starboard side had several cm of water reaching above the bottom of the bulkhead.

Here are the lower pieces of the bulkheads after I cut them out to get access to the whole void. (The worst corner of the starboard piece was already burned at the time the picture was taken).

After cleaning and making a lid, this place looks like a perfect location for a wine-cellar.  Here at starboard side:

Lykke, Hanse 430e, #8 from 2007
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>