myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blocked sea water intake for VP sail drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blocked sea water intake for VP sail drive
    Posted: 11 May 2016 at 00:25
Last weekend on a return trip across the Solent the engine note changed and I found there was no water coming from the exhaust and the engine temperature was rising rapidly. I stopped the engine and checked the impeller, which was fine and found nothing coming from the intake. Having jury rigged a supply from the galley seacock across the floor to get me home I have since tried several options to clear and even after speaking with my local Volvo Penta agent have not found a cure.

The only option now appears to be to run a secondary supply either from one of the existing seacocks or a new one installed adjacent to the engine. The toilet flush seacock appears the obvious choice from which to take a tee but I cannot find a route through from this to the engine and I am unsure of the safest place to drill a hole anywhere near the engine to install a new one.

Has anyone had the sail drive sea water intake completely blocked, if so how have you cleared it? If not did you run a new separate feed and how did you do this?

Any advice on suggesting a route through from the toilet intake seacock, or a location adjacent to the engine for installing a new skin fitting would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Rob
"Blue Horizon" Hanse 341#113 Portsmouth Harbour UK
Viv View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 11:41
Ours got blocked on our old boat which had a Volvo Penta sail drive and we cleared it by blowing back down the intake hose from the engine end. It took a lot of blowing but cleared the problem completely. Good Luck.

robh View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 11:53
Thanks for the feedback.

I tried that when on the water and I have also done this again with a hose an mains water pressure back in the marina but nothing appears to shift the blockage. The VP agent suggested a caustic substance but did advise this may cause more problems.
Cheers,

Rob
echoofwight View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echoofwight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 12:17
Hi, have you taken the hose off the engine seacock? And tried pocking a stick or something through it.
Steve. Hanse 341 Echo of Wight, . Deep draft and rudder, white hull, Single aft cabin. Raymarine instruments. Raymarine radar. Garmin AIS. Wheel Steering,   Portsmouth.
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 13:41
On my old VP 2002 I had a lot of trouble. When I changed the membrane I found a lot of blue mussel had grown inside. The problem came back after 3-4 years.
Perhaps you need to crush these before blowing them out.
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
robh View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 14:25
Hi Guys,

Yes I have removed the hose and tried pushing a length of wire coat hanger in but as the VP agent told me this would not be much use as just below the intake seacock is a plate and the holes where water comes up are spread around this but not in line with the intake. Pushing the wire down only went in about 25 mm and hit the plate, so no help.

Cheers,

Rob
robh View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 00:04
Hi Sea-U, How do you propose I do this?

I spoke with my local VP dealer and was informed that a back flush or blowing backward down the intake may solve the problem, which I have done this. They also said it may not work and if it did could happen again in a short time. I had read somewhere that the feed for this intake is via the small hole at the bottom front of the sail drive leg but a gain my local VP agent said this was untrue as the flow of water is via all the various intake holes in the leg and as I mentioned earlier trying to force something down from the top would be ineffective due to the configuration of the feed via the plate under the seacock location for the intake.
Cheers,

Rob
echoofwight View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote echoofwight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 07:14
Hi,   there are intakes on both sides of the leg, I can't really think what the blockage could be. The only thing I can think of is mud sucked through both inlets or something wrapped around the leg. If your Hanse is the same as mine, the route to run a pipe from gally to engine is to go under the cooker and there is a channel through. On 'Echo' the hot and cold to the water heater go the same way, as does the pipe from the platform shower. You then need to go round the back of the battery box. If it was me I would divert the pipe to the platform shower. I don't know where you are in Portsmouth, I'm in PS Marina and could show you.    Steve

Edited by echoofwight - 12 May 2016 at 07:15
Steve. Hanse 341 Echo of Wight, . Deep draft and rudder, white hull, Single aft cabin. Raymarine instruments. Raymarine radar. Garmin AIS. Wheel Steering,   Portsmouth.
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 09:36
I'm not sure how your engine picks up raw water.  My 370 has the Yanmar engine and raw water comes in through the saildrive leg.  Each year I clear out a colony of mussels from the holes in the saildrive.  They don't seem to cause and reduction in flow, but I guess over time if not cleared out then they would.
On a prior yacht, which I kept in the Solent, I sometimes found that it picked up floating weed which blanketed the water intake causing the same effect as you describe.  It became really well lodged and only a stick down the water inlet moved it.  That engine had a shaft and seperate water intake.
Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
robh View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 10:31
Hi guys, thanks for the further feedback.

BH was out of the water only a month ago for the 6 month wash down and check on things like clear vent holes in the saildrive leg, anodes and any nasty things lurking underwater. She has been back on the pontoon berth since and was running fine last weekend on the trip to Yarmouth IOW. It was on the trip back that problems occurred. Its unlikely to be mud but could be something wrapped around the leg I suppose which I will check next week.
Should this proved to be the problem it is a simple cure, fingers crossed, however it still leaves the worry of a similar thing happening in future, which could disable the boat in more hostile circumstances.
I want to look at an alternative feed anyway as the jury rig I achieved to get home took a while to execute and would have been very difficult in heavy weather.
Steve, thanks for your comment about the platform shower hose and the route on the starboard side, which must be there as you have the same model of boat. Even if I only use the shower hose as a pull through and draw in a bigger hose plus a draw wire to pull it back that hopefully will get me out of trouble. With the feed to the engine on port side I had not even considered the starboard, strange how you become focused to the exclusion of other things when things like this happen. I will be going down next week to attempt a repair and no matter what I find when I inspect the leg once out of the water I will be installing an additional feed.

Thanks for all your comments I will post an update once I have completed the work next week.

Cheers,

Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>