myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 505/508
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Selden Booms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selden Booms
    Posted: 14 September 2016 at 17:09
Hi all 
I have taken over Andy Olivers 505 and love it . Ive been to Greece,St Lucia, and now back in Uk  so many miles in it,
However I am shocked by the standard of the selden parts both the self tacking track and the Boom.

I picked up the yacht in Greece and going to Las Palmas i broke my boom clean off.  I thought that my crew had been unlucky and ordered a new boom in Gibraltar to be delivered to Las Palmas a couple of weeks later . All happy with Seldens  promise of it getting there i sat tight and awaited the boom . After 1st week and then second week with nothing i started to get concerned with the dealer saying that they had not had confirmation of the boom though customs . As the Arc approached i got selden to confirm that it was near and that they had no control over the delivery . Start of the Arc sent me into a tissy as you would expect and finding out that we would not be getting of with the other yachts annoyed all crew as well. I eventual had the local dealer check with his friend at customs who said they did not have it . Sunday lunch we all sailed out to start (Us without a Boom ) to start the race. We then did the sensible thing and returned to Marina where we (with great help from the local Candler) got a company to weld our old one up. We got away and have stayed with it till Cowes week where i had a new one fitted . HERE IS THE SITUATION.  New Boom bending on a day with light winds(as per photo)that we all had . Boom Breaks on a day with light winds . WHY WHY 
Answer Not fit for purpose , Am i right . Selden says "not had this before " I say not correct as there are booms all over the place with their name on them . Gibraltar Nov 2015, Southampton July 2016 and Hamble August 2016 Las Palmas 2015, Greece 2015  . I would love to hear from all you owners that have had the same on a  Hanse 505.
Please let me know as the engineer that looked at photo and Boom says "Not Strong Enough" Reason only one contact point for pressure at end of boom and main sheet attachment half way up boom.      I say again"Not fit for Purpose" . 

SausalitoDave View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SausalitoDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2016 at 14:16
I have a 2014 505. Never had a problem. Do you have the internal reefing boom?

Dave
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2016 at 19:00
Although I have a much smaller boat I have just ordered a new mainsail & like your sail it will be loose footed. Do you think that it could be part of the problem. looking at your boom there is a massive point load at the end rather than a uniform load along the whole boom. Obviously the load will always be greater at the clew but looking at what you have makes me wonder if I am making a mistake by not sticking with the 1/3 footed sail pattern I had before
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2016 at 20:28
That's an interesting thought. I was offered both options when we bought ubulukutu, IM didn't indicate any issue with loose foot, which we have had from new.
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2016 at 20:29
For the avoidance of doubt, we have Z spar boom and mast
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
SausalitoDave View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SausalitoDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2016 at 20:41
I can't imagine that a properly sized boom should fail under anything but extraordinary conditions.  There a lots of builders that use German-style sheeting and loose-foot sails.  I would check to see if the cross section that you have is the one recommended for the boat.  I am not at my 505 (and I have a single-line reefing boom) but I will get the information next time I am there.

Dave
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2016 at 21:20
I am sure that it is not the first time problems with broken booms have cropped up with Hanse boats. I seem to recall that in the dim and distant past some of the 34/35's( may have been others one would have to do a forum search) broke their booms in gybes & the subject was discussed on the forum
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2016 at 01:12
Originally posted by samuel samuel wrote:

I am sure that it is not the first time problems with broken booms have cropped up with Hanse boats. I seem to recall that in the dim and distant past some of the 34/35's( may have been others one would have to do a forum search) broke their booms in gybes & the subject was discussed on the forum

I recall this as well although don't remember which model(s) it was. I seem to remember that the problem was the mid boom sheeting as opposed to end boom. Mid boom sheeting has much higher loads and requires stronger/bigger boom cross section....

Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Brufan View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brufan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2016 at 12:08
Originally posted by Rubato Rubato wrote:

Originally posted by samuel samuel wrote:

I recall this as well although don't remember which model(s) it was. I seem to remember that the problem was the mid boom sheeting as opposed to end boom. Mid boom sheeting has much higher loads and requires stronger/bigger boom cross section....

I had a complete surprise to have my 2011 yacht delivered with a Selden rig as Selden was not the Hanse's official supplier at that time.  
When I ordered the yacht I was well aware of the broken booms issue because of weakness of booms sections.
I was happy to have the yacht delivered with a stronger (and lot heavier) Selden boom with automatic reefs.  On my H355 it never bent in any weather conditions.  Three yars after delivery I have modified sheeting arrangement from the original mid boom to an end boom fitting (with a removable traveler in cockpit). So load on boom is now reduced.
Bruno

hanse 355 - 57

S/Y Spicy Ginger

White hull, 2 cabins, Volvo D1-30, Selden rig, removable mainsheet track system, Simrad (now B&G)-Jefa autopilot.
Andy Brock View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2016 at 10:22
Hi again . Thanks to you all for feedback and i presume 505 owners will be in contact soon to agree or deny issues with their booms .
My mast is an in-mast furling and i believe at least 3 of the 5 broken booms are in-mast so wondered if anymore stress would be created by that method. any comments would be great 
I will look into the different sized sections used by Selden just in case they have changed them .
What do you all think they should be ??
Thanks again to all who have fed back infomation

AndyBig smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>