myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with the simnet routing please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pride of Waterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with the simnet routing please
    Posted: 26 September 2016 at 09:27
Does anyone know how the signal from the airmar depth and log gets to the simnet?

We have the depth suddenly showing massive variation from 0.4m one minute and then 5 m a minute later whilst stationary.
So we have to trace the route from the airman to the simnet and check all connections.
I can see the connector in the bilge where the airmar connects to a black cable. The problem is the route from there to a multiway plug under the switch panel. Here we have the depth and wind  data already joined on the net but I can't find the route of the cables and where the wind joins the depth. There must be a connector for the two, factory fitted but where?
Anyone who has changed the system already might know the routing and the location of the connector.
Thanks
Jon
Brod Port Lairge
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 14:32
Hi
I've replaced the sensors on both wind and Tri (depth, speed & temp), but only replaced the mast section of the cable for the wind instruments.  Never the Tri cable.

I don't believe that the wind and Tri cables "join" anywhere except to the junction box hidden in the side locker above the battery box.  The wind instrument should be the last in the chain of N2K (Simnet is a "special" version of this) as it has a terminator already built into the wind sensor at the masthead.  There will be a separate terminator at the other end of the chain of instruments & displays.

IIRC I think I had erratic depth readings before I changed mine (I changed mine because in the storms of 2014 I lost the wind instruments and it was cheaper to buy the pack rather than just the sensor and cable)

That issue has now returned, but I think it may be because I've put an Actisense N2k convertor into the system to bring the NMEA1830 across (predominantly AIS data) that the AT10 cannot read.  This seems to cause some confusion to the system especially with where it thinks the data is coming from - I probably need to program it to filter out stuff that seems to be present on both networks...

I'd check that the wind and Tri plugs are in the correct order in the junction box.  After that if you have a spare cable why not run it from the sensor to the connector block across the cabin floor?  You can then see if that is where the problem is before trying to pull the cable and replace it.
Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 17:06
on my 400 the wind joins the simnet in the ceiling near the top of the compression post (under the mast). Removing the ceiling panels reveals a 3 way simnet joiner...
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Pride of Waterford View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pride of Waterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 19:09
Thanks guys I know of the 3 way near the compression post but is there a joint anywhere else?

Brod Port Lairge
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 19:55
I think (at least on my setup) the joint is there so the mast can be removed.  I don't have a proper connector there - just a chocolate box.  In essence this is a single cable down to the Simnet connector we've all described earlier.

Edited by Peter Russell - 26 September 2016 at 19:56
Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
vincio3 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vincio3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 20:01
Hi,
personally I dont think Airmar tridata to have double simnet cable. The sensor provides just one connector to the net. Check Settings page in the chartplotter Menu (in my CX33 there are 2 options 50 or 200hz...) and eventually reset all instruments. 
I experience that massive variation when stationary only if I turn on just the plotter (it has his own switch on the panel) and leave off nav instruments...
Hoping to be helpful...
Hanse 370e #492 2008
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 13:58
I have also a connection behind the port front locker....
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Pride of Waterford View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pride of Waterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2016 at 15:52
I am sure there must be a connection behind the port front locker too but how do I get to it any ideas. This is because the signal at the chart table includes both the wind and depth/log also does anyone know where does the power get into the simnet/
Thanks
Jon
Brod Port Lairge
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2016 at 17:53
there is an inspection hatch (plywood with four screws) in the back of the locker. 

The power get's at the steering pedestal in the simnet.
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Borjebus View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borjebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 19:29
Hi,

I have a IS12 Combi instrument fed by two "analogue" cables - one for the depth transducer and one for the speed/temp transducer. As I have bee unable to find a suitable replacement i bougt a triducer with NMEA 2000 connection and plan to replace the Combi instrument with a Data instrument.

My problem is to get the new cable to the area of batteries/navstation where I have some spare backbone/Simnet connections.
There is a light grey conduit under the fore cabin floor, but I can't find out where it ends. The present cables goes all the way to the steering pedestal but behind the SB aft cabin you can only see a couple of black conduits.
Does anybody know where the light grey conduit ends?
BÄSK, Hanse 370e #82 from 2006, Yanmar 3JH4E/SD50, 3-blade Flexofold, RMC(Lewmar) 185 Bowthruster, Vulcan 9, Simrad+B&G instruments
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>