myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

342 Steering Vibration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 342 Steering Vibration
    Posted: 08 November 2016 at 19:57
I experience slight steering vibration that can be felt throughout the boat on my 2007 Hanse 342. Everything is fine under sail with no vibrations at all and when using the engine under steady, straight running.  If I apply small amount of steering when the engine is running the vibration appears and then disappears when the boat is stable on a new course. The boat has a standard 2 blade prop and has a short keel and wheel steering.  Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am lifting the boat for winter maintenance soon. 
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2016 at 22:00
It's difficult to comment without experiencing the severity of the vibration. Some vibration is normal when turning under engine - the flow of water from the prop across the rudder is not smooth, as can be seen by observing the wake immediately behind the boat. 

You say that when sailing or straight line motoring there is no vibration so I would not be too concerned.
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Graham342 View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham342 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2016 at 23:26

Edited by Graham342 - 08 August 2020 at 17:28
Time Out View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2016 at 09:45
Thanks for the help and quick responses.  The vibration is only slight but since I am lifting the boat out I will check the bearings as suggested.  I have 2 rear cabins, does this make inspection better or worse?
I have no grease staining or obvious signs of grease leakage and the boat is lightly sailed.  What is the best way to check the bearings in question?

StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2016 at 21:13
In my experience this is a direct result of the gap between the top of the rudder and the hull. If you look at custom yachts, race yachts or upper end quality yachts the top of the rudder follows the exact shape of the hull and the gap is both constant and minimal, smaller the better.

Hanse uses rudders from jefa, they are not custom fitted to the boat, many models share common rudder and the gap between the rudder and hull on some models is significant and it varies across the width of the blade. This gap is impacted by water flow off the prop while motoring however not so noticeable when sailing.

I made spacer ring from Teflon which sits on top horizontal shoulder of the rudder shaft between the underside on top rudder bearing and the shoulder. As the rudders are buoyant they will float and push up towards the hull, by making a ring i can eliminate the rudder from rubbing on the hull and control gap better. I also re-profiled the top of my rudder to the same shape as the hull so that the gap is a constant 4mm across the entire width of the top of the rudder blade..

Boat motors and sails much better as a result. 
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Graham342 View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham342 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2016 at 21:25

Edited by Graham342 - 08 August 2020 at 17:28
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2016 at 21:32
OK, but same logic applies however.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Interlude View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Interlude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2016 at 06:29
I have just replaced my original 2004 build Hanse rudder with a replacement from Jeffa - neither is buoyant, both a comfortable two man carry.  The gap with the replacement rudder is greater than the previous (10mm compared to about 5 at the shaft, more at the trailing edge.  I get vibration at more than 2600 rpm, no noticeable change after swapping the rudders.  
Interlude 342#241
echoofwight View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echoofwight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2016 at 08:00
I get some vibration at higher engine revs, especially when turning. It has been like it since new and has not changed. I get no vibration when sailing. I guess this is normal?
Steve. Hanse 341 Echo of Wight, . Deep draft and rudder, white hull, Single aft cabin. Raymarine instruments. Raymarine radar. Garmin AIS. Wheel Steering,   Portsmouth.
Rock View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2016 at 21:55
It sounds like you guys are talking about prop wash, turbulence caused by the propeller against the ridder blade.
Quite normal, i think.
Hanse 400e "M-square2" #0241
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>