myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints and Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best upgrade
    Posted: 12 October 2005 at 23:08

I am looking to get the best sailing I can.

Have a 312 drop keel that I find fails to sail as well as I would like, part is me as I fail to trim for best as not that good, part is boat.

If we elimenate me from equation then cash must be used to improve performance.

Two options, chop in to 370 with fixed keel, thus have best chance to achieve good sailing or spend lump to get best from curent boat.

Fore sails

Have bad self tack and v good 140 genny; genny backs main close hauled, I am thinking best self tack can get and furling cuise chute.

Have cruise chute for mid down wind work will improve with snufer.

Main sail

Doyle is on her, thinking v good cruise lam wih 3 reefs.

Main sheet track is obvious , run out of cash this spring.

Prop

I have folding 15x11, this may help performance however I think sell this and go for kiwi as should have better under power.

Any ideas on how to spend money  to obtain best performance (from yacht). My performace no cash can help, only blue pills.

Simon

marcust View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2005 at 09:18
New sails and trim them properly. A well set suite of sails makes an enormous difference. You will probably have to put up with the limitations of a drop-keel compared to a fin but with a decent set of sails, used properly, you will get more out of the boat and will perform better than a fin version with standard sails in the wrong hands :-)

Marcus Tettmar

Macro Recorder & Windows Automation Tools. Automate your business so YOU can go sailing. We'll show you how.
tinkerbell View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tinkerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2005 at 13:44

Hi simon

we have a lift keel 371 it doent perform as well as a fixed keel but does allow us to go anywhere so + and - on that one

I agree with marcus good sails and use the money on a sailing course to learn how to use them

if you find one let mem know i have the same problem as you.

NMC

NMC
Scotch Mist View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotch Mist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2005 at 15:05

Just to add my 3 hapeths worth.

Scotch Mist is a deep keel 312. We don't have any head sails other than the North roller furling self tacker as supplied with new boat last year. Despite a little matter to do with luff tension, (which Hanse have in hand), I've found she points quite high and otherwise scoots along. I'm still learning about mainsail setting so constantly adjusting - halliard, kicker, outhaul, backstay tensions and sheet traveler position, plus monitoring tell tales (why not; it's my new toy - thats my excuse anyway). A year or so ago there was a very good article in Yachting Monthly, explaining (with pictures) how and when to adjust these. Worth digging out a copy! Anyway a couple of weeks ago in a 4 with slight seas we were touching 7.2 knots on beamish reach. Max speed earlier in season (cant remember the point of sail but presumably with some surfing) we were exceeding 8 knots. Oh and whilst I'm about it - she absolutly stonks along under a spinnaker (we don't set a gennaker). The only things I would want to improve is the head sail for off wind sailing - probably try a barber hauler next season and to windward in really light airs - a light weight genny or similar?  

Andrew
Annalethia View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annalethia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2005 at 13:50

I am afraid a new boat either moving up in size or to a standard 315 with a fixed keel will get you sailing faster.

When we met on the Medway in the summer you were slower than the other 311/2's which was down the shape of your keel rather than anything else.

Colin

gertha View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2005 at 22:01

Thanks Colins, I thought it might be my our bad sailing.

Will try and screw Dominic on a good deal, may be we could get him to throw in a spinny for you.

Simon

christian View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2005 at 09:05
Hanse 370e # 346
X Hanse 312 #247
1991 11:Metre One Design 2003 Stingray 5,2 RIB 90 Suzuki X First 25 X First Class 8 X Triss Norlin
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2005 at 12:03
Christan, thanks for posting that link. I will return to those pages for sure!

Johan Hackman
s/y Emilia
Hanse 342 #306
Stockholm
Sweden
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic